battery backup

does anyone have there tank on a battery backup? if so which part of the tank? I have been thinking about putting the main pump on one.

shanev

The main pump would probally drain a typical computer battery backup fairly fast. I would put a powerhead on the battery backup so you would have some circulation in case of power outage.

beaslbob

I agree the most battery backups are totally ineffective for tanks. the only real option is to use a gas powered generator.

javatech

This is what i have 3 APC 500va backup one for the main pump, one for the heater, and one for lights.
they last 1/2 - 1 hour and then i have a 7500watt generator

tunze

Originally posted by javatech
This is what i have 3 APC 500va backup one for the main pump, one for the heater, and one for lights.
they last 1/2 - 1 hour and then i have a 7500watt generator

:D Way to protect your fish, Hardware and your pocket at the same time. Looking good Javatech..
I see you also said you have a generator . I'm sure you already thought of this but make sure your generator's voltage goes thru those Apc's. You know voltage conditioning and all that, for pump and Ballast protection.

dburr

Well, I have a homemade job. Automatic recharge, automatic switching from AC to DC (and back). It runs my mag-drive 9.5 for 10 hours. If I had a bigger battery it will go longer.
I will post more on this tommorow if I can find some time. (getting ready for the storm):(
Dan