Battle of the Nano Cubes!

newmarineguy

I plan on getting back into marine fish after being away from it for abot 25 yrs. The hobbie has changed alot! But I love the idea of the all in ones, Plug and play etc. Red Sea Max, Nano, Bio, Aqua and now today I see Cadlights!! Man this stuff is great. I would like a 25 to 35 gallon tank. The more I research the more it seems that the HQI lighting is a must for all types marine but it seems to raise tank temps so a chiller is needed. Other questions Protein skimmer or not. Is a heater included? Seems difficult to find one tank in the group that is truely an all in one. Cadlights look awsome but everthing is custom. Must get replacements from them. Well look forward to hearing some opinions from you all.

fanker

it all depends on what u wanna keep and the dementions of the tank, its now pretty much mh vs. t5, its just really what u want. imo t5s r better more color combo less heat with the correct vents anly change bulbs 12-18 months (can even go 24) but some still like mh for the shimmer and the shodow affect

newmarineguy

Yes exactly, what do I want? Since I am just beginning again, and cost is an issue.(would like to go without the chiller) Decisions, decisions!!

xlr8

During my research phase, I found that Metal Halides were way to $$$ and way to hot
then you have to get into chiller and power consumption ect. So I decided to go with power compacts due to my tank dimensions and size and small bank account. And like fanker said, what you want to keep: sps, lps, FOWLR, ect. T5 IMO can give MH a run for their money. Thats my$.02. Thanks.

pete159

as tempting as all in 1 tanks may seem ... stay awayyyyyyy
building your own tank is much more fun and gives you more room to experiment.
get at least a 40g, better yet a 55g, better yet a 90g....the smaller you start the more you'll have to upgrade when the day comes that you regret buying the smaller all in ones.
get a decent tank, with at least 1lb of live rock per gallon, or more if you want coral. get a GOOD protein skimmer, you won't believe the amount of gunk they tank out. get a decent ro/di unit, don't use tap water. if you start small you will regret it and want to upgrade, so better to start bigger right away.

xlr8

I was tempted by the all-in-ones. Don't get me wrong, I think they have pros and cons just like everything else. And they do get the job done. But in the end I ultimately decided to build my own. I don't regret the decision. I think I'm having more fun and learning a lot more. And to be honest, I think I'm spending almost the same either way. Plus I feel that changing out components, cleaning, upgrading components, and fine tuning will be easier with a build from scratch type tank. $.02. Thanks!