Be afraid of Acrylic tanks no more!!

sal t. nutz

As many of you know, I sold my 55 and traded up to a 300 gallon tank. I got it off ----, so it was purchased sight unseen. When I picked it up, it was completely boxed up from movers that had moved this person. So I took it home and unpacked it. I can't tell you, or even come close to expressing in words how scratched up this tank was. I hauled it to an acrylic shop, and the guy said there was no way to repair all that damage and have it be worth it. He said it would take him so many hours to do it, that i could just by a new tank for that much money. Well, I am not easliy disuaded, not to mention that I had an 8 ft long paperwieght now, so i got on the net and researched. I found a product from 3M that reapirs acrylic. I ordered it and got to work. It works with an orbital sander, so it doesn't require rediculous effort, though it wasn't easy work. The work wasn't difficult, just time consuming and strenuous. Well, I am done with the inside and outside of the front, and it looks awsome. Not a scratch to be seen. There are a few swirl marks from not buffing it well enough, that I could prob even get rid of, but I am sick of doing it. I will post pics after I get it up and running. The stand needed a makeover too. But the moral of the story is, if someone will sell you a dream tank (sizewise) but it is in horrible shape, with scratches and crazing, buy it anyway if you can get it cheap. With a little work, you CAN make it look new again.

isaari

Looking forward to seeing the pics of this beast. I'd like to bring my snorkling gear and take a swim in it next time I'm in J-ville. :D

splash1914

I bought a brand new tank that had a bad scratch in it when it was delivered.. The shop promised they would come to fix it and never did.... I would really love to get rid of the scratch.... Whats the website called.. thanks..

sal t. nutz

I have no pics of the before, unfortunately. However, I am seriuos when I say, just picture an acrylic tank that had been dragged across a gravel lot. It had numerous 8ft long scratches that you couldn't get your fingernail across. Your fingernail would get stuck in them. Then it had a billion small scratches. And this was on the inside AND outside. I have never seen a tank this bad. No matter where you get a tank from, or how badly it was mistreated, this one was worse. I will post an after pic when i finish the sides. I can post a before pic of the sides, but they aren't all that bad.