beach sea shells

mickeyd

I just went to Beach. Got some shells. What do I do to safely put them in the tank. Do I soak them in anything. I don't want my fish to die.
:rolleyes: :happyfish

moraym

Definitely soak and boil them. I've heard of people bleaching them as well, but if you do this be sure to soak and boil them afterwards several times to remove all trace of the bleach.

mickeyd

HAve you done it before. What about putting Clorox in water. I heard that also. Both sound good. I was wondering about the live rock the stores "cure" before they sell it to you. I thought of that process.:thinking:

moraym

Like I said, only bleach if you're going to soak and boil, soaking being in a very SeaChem Prime-laden water. Yes, bleach is evil to an aquarium, but several bags I once used to clear up my water were recharged with bleach, so I know it can be safely used if you soak items several times before placing back into the tank. And bleach is what is used on all those ivory-white dead corals for sale to be placed in aquariums.

O

ocikitty

Bleach is okay to use. It washes off easily. If you want to make sure all chorine is gone afterwards you can soak in freshwater with some decholorinator in it.

rbmount

If you do bleach them, rinse them good, them let sit in the sum for a week or so, them I'd boil them again before putting them in my tank.