beat the system

ryder

Ok, can someone please explain this to me?
Why is it that these Fish stores rip you off when it comes to trading in fish? They so willingly pay you a third (if you are lucky) of the price of which they will turn around and sell it for the next day. They really act like they are doing you such a big favor by taking your fish off your hands so that they can turn around and make quick hefty little profit.
Why don’t we figure out a way to beat these guys and create our own resource pool so that we can trade fish or sell them to each other? What do you guys think? I mean I am sure that this has already been done on a small scale but why don’t we main stream it? I think this is a good idea….please provide me with some feedback, I am interested in what you may have to say.
I know that here in New York, a lot of people would be interested in such a thing, anyone else?

team2jndd

HA. I did beat the system. I worked at a lfs as the manager of the saltwater department for about 3 months. Lets just say me several thousand dollar reef cost me maybe 200 dollars. Nothing like sticking it to the man.

dadummy

I know a way, you can open up a store, pay employees, electric, taxes, insurance, loss of merchandise from crooked employees, and everything else that is required to run a store. Stock the store with the best corals, fish , LR and supplies.
Then when someone needs to return a fish from this site.
you can give us a square deal. maybe even through in an extra
sounds good to me

chazz66

Originally Posted by team2jndd
HA. I did beat the system. I worked at a lfs as the manager of the saltwater department for about 3 months. Lets just say me several thousand dollar reef cost me maybe 200 dollars. Nothing like sticking it to the man.
Sounds more like employee theft to me :notsure:

slappy

i get things at cost at my lfs, just been going there forever and i guess they like me but eventhough the mark up is big, what it cost to run a buisness is real high. but hey im always looking for a deal so it does sound like a ok idea

seannmelly

same here, i work at the lfs(all salt though) get everything real cheap!!!!!!! gotta love it

happyvac

Good job on stealing

seannmelly

Originally Posted by HappyVac
Good job on stealing

well i know at the store i work at i dont steal nothing. if i want something i have to ask the owner and he decides if i can get it, livestock that is. the longer its there the cheaper i get it. its all at or below cost. for equipment its cost, no stealing here. i know we mark things up from 200 to 300% so i save alot

jhov2324

sounds like a good idea, I had to get rid of my wrasse and the lfs only gave me 15 bucks for it, and i paid 30, I didn't expect 30 but and even trade or at least 20, I'm from NYC so good trades and business always sounds good, start something up man, I know a few people who are in this hobby and would like the idea too

unleashed

I have only had to take one of my fish back to the LFS yes i got 15 bucks for it and yes they resold it for 30 which was the price paid for it to them to begin with ,but they are in the business to make profit not just break even.anyone that owns a business knows how it works.concider what it cost for each of us to keep our tanks up and running mow multiply that by how ever many tanks your LFS have up and running.now pay someone to tend to it for you.elec ,maintanance,foods ,all the supplies equipment,ins taxes ect.you can stick it to the so called man all you want but bottom line is .if it werent for your LFS you wouldnt have this hobby to begin with.sure you can go to another LFS and do the same thing but soon enough they go down too.do you question how much your grocery store pays for its supplies? or any other store you shop at for that matter, these stores are no differnt than you or I when it comes to selling off bits of our hobbies equipment fish ect.go ahead and break it all down how much you have invested in our hobby anyone that has ever sold anything on these forums can tell you what they have sold to other hobbiest No one even breaks even.you take a huge loss on what you sell.how can you expect a business to be a business without any profit.

timdaddie

Your lfs is trying to run a business and without profit there is know business. The less they pay you for your fish the more they make in profit. All this and I never taken a business class. By the way to the thief above your one of the reasons we pay so much at the stores in the first place. Every time they lose profit it takes twice the amount of money to get that money back. Guess who's paying that price.

fogger

Originally Posted by chazz66
Sounds more like employee theft to me :notsure:
I would steal if I looked like him lol

team2jndd

Ok two things one I didnt steal anything I was able to get it for quarter the cost they sell it for because I was the one in control of ordering. If i was stealing I wouldnt have spent any money??? Two the avitar isnt me its a picture off the internet of some random guy. I love the people who jump to conclusions on this website.

team2jndd

Not that I owe an explanation to anybody but the owner of the store took down the 180 display because he decided he wanted to focus on puppies rather than fish. Because I was the one who built and maintained that tank, I got whatever livestock and equiptment I wanted for free. The only thing I had to pay for myself was a 58g oceanic tank. (on sale for $200)

fogger

Originally Posted by fogger
I would steal if I looked like him lol
You know I did not think you looked like that bud, and it is spelled avatar anyway
take care, and good luck with your discounts

stone

Nothing like sticking it to the man.

I dont want to pile on,but sounds like "the man" was a nice person.

crox

Not that I owe an explanation to anybody but the owner of the store took down the 180 display because he decided he wanted to focus on puppies rather than fish. Because I was the one who built and maintained that tank, I got whatever livestock and equiptment I wanted for free. The only thing I had to pay for myself was a 58g oceanic tank. (on sale for $200)

Where are you located?

crox

Originally Posted by Jhov2324
sounds like a good idea, I had to get rid of my wrasse and the lfs only gave me 15 bucks for it, and i paid 30, I didn't expect 30 but and even trade or at least 20, I'm from NYC so good trades and business always sounds good, start something up man, I know a few people who are in this hobby and would like the idea too

Which store did you go to? I went to my lfs and I gave them 25 Amazon swords and they only gave me a store credit for $10 when I know they sell them for $3.50-4 a piece!!!

Next time I prefer to dump them in the toilet!!! :scared: :scared:

mandarin w

I agree on some things the mark up is alot. But then that is what the internet is for. Some times you can get some things cheaper even after shipping. But at the LFS you are also paying for that knowledge. I have never be in a LFS, where there wasn't someone asking every question they could think of just to go down the road to Pets Mart and get the items the were told about at the LFS. These guy like us have a morgage, family to feed. and taxes to pay. A lot of times the more you frequent a store and become a regular customer, the cut you a huge break. Secondly, on a lot of forum like this one. they have sub catagories which break off by area of the country, On those sub forum a lot of times they have trading forum. Get with Saltwater.com and find out if they have a forum for your area. and get to know all the fellow reefers in your comunity. It is worth the time. You can get together and exchange ideals, a help each other out with equipment and trade your fish for other fish or filter pads etc. Good Luck, Stop bashing the guys out there just trying to make a living. and enjoy the hobby!
:jumping: