Beautiful FourLine Wrasse

team2jndd

Its a fourline not a sixline and your tank isnt too big. I say that not even knowing what size your tank is because how can it be too big? People dont pay what you pay they pay what its worth. I dont care if you bought it for a million dollars if its a 30 dollar fish you get 30 dollars. I dont see why you think you would be able to get more than you paid? Good luck on the sale and I hope somebody takes it from you. Happy new year.

ophiura

FOLKS:
THis is not a discussion. If you don't want to pay, then don't pay....and don't comment.
This is a nice fish. I don't care if he has a $2 Betta and tries to sell it for $50. It is his to sell, and for someone else to decide to buy should they want it.
Where exactly is it written you must sell it for the same or less than you bought it for???? If someone wants to pay it, then so be it. If not, he won't sell it!
And it is not even the issue here.
ALL HE WANTS TO DO IS SELL IT FOR WHAT HE BOUGHT IT FOR...why does this fish have some sort of depreciation??

jozadak

Originally Posted by ophiura
FOLKS:
THis is not a discussion. If you don't want to pay, then don't pay....and don't comment.
This is a nice fish. I don't care if he has a $2 Betta and tries to sell it for $50. It is his to sell, and for someone else to decide to buy should they want it.
Where exactly is it written you must sell it for the same or less than you bought it for???? If someone wants to pay it, then so be it. If not, he won't sell it!
ALL HE WANTS TO DO IS SELL IT FOR WHAT HE BOUGHT IT FOR...why does this fish have some sort of depreciation??
Thank you for setting the issue straight! I am new to the hobby and stumbled across this site. Signed up the other nite looking for some good info and maybe buy additional items. Reading thru some threads like this though can give someone a bad impression. Like the moderator said put up or shut up and keep your stupid comments to yourself.

birdman77520

Think several of you need to sign up for my online Interpersonal Communications course.... at Lee College... here in Beautiful Downtown Baytown, Texas!!! Was thinking the point was to discuss fish problems...not people problems!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!
birdman77520 :happyfish

boalgf

FOLKS:
I don't agree. If one person is trying to potentially take advantage of (rip off) other, potentially new hobbyists, I think it is helpful to say "the fish is not worth that price."
When did this site start promoting the exploitation of hobbyists and the termination of communication?
Also, he was trying to make more on this fish than he paid and not just trying to get his money back.

ortho bill

I tried to buy a four line a few years back because I fell in love with it. Beautiful fish. In three weeks it killed 1 clown, 1 flame angel and a coral beauty that was 4 times as big as it. The nastiest fish I've ever owned Bought him for $20 from another reefer - some deal. Ended up costing me $125 until I gave him away.
Side Bar - after killing the CB he actually jumped out of the tank. I waited a full minute before deciding to put him back in........
BEWARE, Bill

ophiura

Man, I had forgotten about this thread
Many people on these boards say this in a productive way and I don't see a major problem with it. People may say "$50 is a reasonable price for this fish in most markets." Or, how about this, no reply at all! Many threads get no attention whatsoever, a little message that "you are charging too much."
This exhange became more of a personal attack. Describing this guy using terms like "rip off" "take advantage of?" Come on. It was not productive, and not welcome.
Take home message: Buyer beware.
A few months ago, I was a new car buyer. I am sure I paid an "inflated" price for that car, over what it was truly worth. I shopped around, and surprisingly no one was standing outside the store making a point of defending the poor new car buyer about not being exploited at the dealership. I was willing to pay the extra money. I wanted the color. I like the dealership. That is what is important TO ME.
If someone wants to ask an inflated price - and someone is willing to pay it, then so be it. I mean, go to any store, and they are charging an inflated price (often outrageously inflated...far in excess of overhead...and we are fine with it). There is no law that they must ask for less than they bought it for. Where is that written?
Exploitation? How about some sympathy for this guy whose LFS maybe took advantage of him? Many fish stores exploit new hobbyists all the time. Let's be reasonable, and not cast too many stones.
If this is exploitation, how bad are all these people who charge outrageous prices for some made up "super duper people eater" silly hyped up name zoanthid? Hey, if you love it, it may be worth every dollar...and not a cent to someone else. Is that really exploitation?
How bad am I for taking a FREE piece of Anthelia, letting it overgrow some rock, and the trading it to an LFS for $10 credit so they can turn around and sell it for $25?
And so the sixline that I bought 5 years ago - now significantly larger - do I still have to charge no more than the $29 I paid for it if I resell it...I mean, it was a $29 fish... and by some of the logic above, that is all it will ever be (or less - somehow they are "used fish" I guess).
What if this guy bought the fish for $85, but drove 100 miles to get it. So there is gas involved. Can he add this...it is overhead and is directly part of the price he DID pay for the fish...how much was tax?
Yes, let's not cast too many stones.
Are we really entitled to demand this guy not charge what he wants, and accuse him of being a terrible person?
I think not.
I think he didn't wish to bargain, his right, and that annoyed people.
This is silly. No, there is no discussion (I use the term loosely, of course I refer to the arguments, calling him a "jerk" and other comments), and it is not promoting the exploitation of hobbyists. If you can nicely say that the price is too high, that is one thing but jumping on some guy for asking a price is not.
And next time you guys are trying to sell something and people are accusing you
of ripping people off when you have no desire to bargain the price down, the same logic will stand. So feel free to report it then too.

boalgf

I think it is a forum member’s responsibility to point out a gross overpricing. Whether it is from an lfs or another member. All of the original posts did that and I feel chastising the posters was unnecessary. There is no need to bring in examples of previous purchases, or the morals of consumer purchasing. He was asking too much for the fish and was rightfully called out for it. Congrats to those who stepped up.

ophiura

You are free to disagree, but "calling people out" in this way by calling them jerks and accusing them of unfounded things is not welcome on these boards, and I encourage people to report it (as they do). I trust most people to be able to disagree in a nonetheless productive manner.

30-xtra high

no offense ophuria or boalgf, but this argument is going nowhere, ophuria, you're not going to prove a point to boal, and boal, you're kinda wrong, so can't you (ophuria) just lock the post? i doubt that his 4 line is still for sale, or going to be sold on this thread, meaning this thread has no point and should be ended.

boalgf

Sometimes adults debate over things that you consider arbitrary. We are being civil so calling for us to stop just because you say so is a bit pretentious. I happen to enjoy talking, which is why I come to forums.
Ophuria, I do agree that name calling shouldn't be tolerated. Spreading knowledge on pricing is very helpful though and anyone attempting to inflate prices should be ready to deal with the mob.

ibew

Originally Posted by boalgf
30 high.... Calm down. Sometimes adults debate over things that you consider arbitrary. We are being civil so calling for us to stop just because you say so is a bit pretentious. I happen to enjoy talking, which is why I come to forums.
Ophuria, I do agree that name calling shouldn't be tolerated. Spreading knowledge on pricing is very helpful though and anyone attempting to inflate prices should be ready to deal with the mob.

ophiura

Simply put, there will be no "mob" activity in these threads.
If you think the price is high, then say so nicely, and move on. The guy can come down, or not. People can consider your answer, or not. Maybe no one will buy it. But it is a free market, not a fixed price...there are no rules, and I see no "mobs" outside of most stores in this country where prices are inflated for one thing or another.
Honestly, I am at a total loss as to why this guy has been treated this way. I see this a lot on fish boards. Fish people seem cheap buying second hand. But it is not your right to demand a lower price and accuse people of things just because they don't want to charge it. Just don't buy it.
I would be interested to know if he sold this fish or not. If he didn't, well, maybe it was because he was charging so much. Its a free market, capitalist economy at work.

puffer32

How bad am I for taking a FREE piece of Anthelia, letting it overgrow some rock, and the trading it to an LFS for $10 credit so they can turn around and sell it for $25?
Thats exactly what i plan to do with my free anthelia
I got about 5 free polops of it at a reefers swap 2 months ago, now look at it :scared: and its been fragged 2 times already, this stuff is the fastest growing stuff in my tank.