Beautiful Maxima Clam

al&burke

I was at a LFS in Buffalo today - they had three beautiful 6" maxima clams - blue. I almost bought one - they were $200 each. I might go back in a few weeks and treat myself. I did walk out with a couple of zoa frags. They are in the display I dipped them with iodine. What do you guys think of the maxima's.

gemmy

If the mantle looks good, then go for it. You didn't happen to snap a pic of them? If you did, then BTL would be able to advise more.

al&burke

I didn't get a picture, the mantle look really good, healthy attached - if that is what you look for.

gemmy

It's folds in the mantle that create a pinched look. It does not flow with the natural folds of the mantle. It can start off subtle and gradually degrade if not caught remedied.

1guydude

so gemmy....R u sayin that maximas should be more closed up or that the mantle should be even with the mouth shape so to speak? Also dont maxima's go on rock and deresea's go in the sand of floor bed?!?!
$200 seems a lil steep to me! Unless it was some crazy rarer colors....u can get a nice lookin clam here for $80-$100!

snakeblitz33

Eh, some maximas I've seen sell for closer to 300 in certain parts of LA. I still wouldn't pay $200 for a 6" maxima clam though. lol.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/387393/beautiful-maxima-clam#post_3408426
so gemmy....R u sayin that maximas should be more closed up or that the mantle should be even with the mouth shape so to speak? Also dont maxima's go on rock and deresea's go in the sand of floor bed?!?!
$200 seems a lil steep to me! Unless it was some crazy rarer colors....u can get a nice lookin clam here for $80-$100!
The clam should be open and kind of flow with the folds of the shell. I don't think the price is bad for the size clam that Al will be getting. Most clams that are 3 inches or less go for 100 or less. Therefore, a 6 inch going for double that is not unreasonable. I would not be surprised if Al could negotiate them down to $150 if the clams are still there in a few weeks.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/387393/beautiful-maxima-clam#post_3408435
The clam should be open and kind of flow with the folds of the shell. I don't think the price is bad for the size clam that Al will be getting. Most clams that are 3 inches or less go for 100 or less. Therefore, a 6 inch going for double that is not unreasonable. I would not be surprised if Al could negotiate them down to $150 if the clams are still there in a few weeks.

The clams I saw were even more open than that, they just looked healthy, the guy said they have had them for a while, 4 to 6 months

1guydude

try and talk em down bro!
I like the maximas myself...they r the ones on the rock though?!?!
Right? I think there is 3 diff ones though?!?!

S

smartorl

I have been eyeing a few beautiful little teeny maximas at one of my local shops. They are teeny little guys and I have had so many issues with my tank that right now it's not an option but their color is staggering.

al&burke

I hear you, my skimmer pump went - I need to send it back where I bought it. I think I should have a back up for the skimmer, luckily I have an ATS.

C

cuccaro

How long do clams last in home aquariums heard average life is 8 to 12 months? For a $200 clam only last a year I would be mad