Before I pull the plug on my skimmer...

paintman

I have a 55 gal live rock and sand 7 months old 1 tomato clown, 1 firefish, and 1 Royal Gramma as well as assorted crabs etc... a leather and torch with a few assorted mushrooms polyps etc.
All set up with info from this site without any problems untill 4 weeks ago when my protein skimmer quit producing any waste. Cpr bak pak with maxi 1200 pump. I
t is "producing bubbles" (with much tinkering) but no matter what I do it will not produce any foam. I have cleaned it and kept the cup clean. I have not ever used any additives other than e.s.v. bionic.
I am not arrogant enough to believe that I have water that has no proteins that need to be removed so.....is it me or the skimmer???
During the first 5-6 months it worked great and from the posts I read this is a common problem. If anyone has an idea I would appreciate your input, other than that I am fixing to buy a Aqua C Remora.
Also, I have set up my tank using all the info here without a question or problem. I appreciate all of you who know sharing your knowledge with all of us who don't.

hot883

If the pump gets dirty or the intake tube is slightly clogged then it will restrict foam production because of loss of water movement. It may take up to a week or so to start producing again after a thorough cleaning.

woolfe

are you sure the skimmer isn't broken. I have no clue about skimmers but looking at the one I have it seems to me there has to be something that pushes the air into the water. Maybe yours isn't working... Just a thought....................

paintman

yea its working as far as the pump producing bubbles etc. but no its not producing any waste. It is clean and the pump and intake tube are clear and clean.

gsd

I would have thought first one would have to have what is actually classed as a good skimmer before one could pull the plug on the skimmer. CPRs are like a lot of other over priced skimmers..ya sure do not get what ya pay for.

stanlalee

will begin to foam again when organics build up sufficiently for it to start working unless something has broken/become disconnected. You have a very low bioload reef tank and a low ball skimmer. they all do it (bakbak, seaclone, prizm) under those conditions although 4wks is atypical. Perhaps a 2-5 days would be normal.