Begining HypoSalinity Treatment in a 55!!!

1968oldsma

I removed all the live rock that was in my 55 gallon tank tonight. It seems all the fish i have seem to have some sort of ick on there bodys the clown is the one with it the worst the puffer has a little on his fins and the yellow tang and my favorite firefish had little spots so aside from putting all the fish in my quarantine rubbermaid i just put water from the tank in the bin and put the live rock in there with a powerhead and i'm slowly putting distilled water in the tank getting the saline level down to the leve it's supposed to be. Is this the right way to do this or should i be doing this a different way. Please advise.

E

exile415

I heard people do HYPO in with the fish and in there main tank also.

1968oldsma

i'm doing mine in the main tank and hoping for the best cause i have had these fish for a few months and i've grown attached to the clowns and my firefish and would not be happy to loose any of mny fish so i'm hoping for the best.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are you using to measure salinity? Be sure to maitain adequate pH. Take a look at the post on hyposalinity in the FAQ.

1968oldsma

i'm using a $120 refractometer :mad: that thing was expensive but it's the only one i couuld find around my area yeah i have printed out the faq and have probably read it 5 times now lol dont want to loose any of my little buddys

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you could have gone ahead and used a glass hydrometer for immediate readings and then ordered the refract for 3rd day delievery and still come out on top in the price department, but, oh well.