Beginner Corals?

J

jesse!

Hey, what are some good beginner corals that don't need high lighting. My tank has been running for about 6 months now and I am using a 55 gallon canister fiter with about 4.5 watt's /gallon for lighting.
All your posts are much appreciated.
Thanks,
-Jesse

king_neptune

Good question, I myself have a vested interest in this as well.
What kinds of bright pretty beginner corals are there that we should consider?
I like bright green's, red's,blues ^^
And how much light we talking about Jesse? MH's? 250watter perhaps?

oceana

shrroms, zoanthids, pallys, xenia, some chalice, several favia are all great corals to start with and very easy to keep. lighting can be anything from PC to MH. things like the chalice and favia depending on which one will have better color with the more intense lighting but corals like zoanthids and shroom will thrive under any of the above lights.

oceana

Originally Posted by JESSE!
http:///forum/post/2948310
Hey, what are some good beginner corals that don't need high lighting. My tank has been running for about 6 months now and I am using a 55 gallon canister fiter with about 4.5 watt's /gallon for lighting.
All your posts are much appreciated.
Thanks,
-Jesse

WPG is a good over all idea but for the most part is a worthless rating. 400 HM lighting is FAR more then 400 PC lighting. depth of tank and placment of coral all alter watt per gallon. your best to tell us what type of lighting as the depth and length of your tank.
in general however
shrooms, zoanthids, pallys, xenia, some chalice, several favia are all great corals to start with and very easy to keep. lighting can be anything from PC to MH. things like the chalice and favia depending on which one will have better color with the more intense lighting but corals like zoanthids and shroom will thrive under any of the above lights.

snakeblitz33

I agree that it's not the amount of light that you have, but the quality of the light that is provided.
With that being said, I don't see why you couldn't keep the following:
xenia
anthelia
daisy polyps
protopalythoa
zoanthids
Mushrooms
favia
closed brain corals
Trumpet Corals
leather corals (possibility)
You could even try some nonphotosynthetic corals like:
Orange Sun polyps
Yellow Sun polyps
Black Sun polyps
Certain gorgonians.
Sponges are also great, and they can be a great filler coral as well.

snakeblitz33

By the way,
Make sure you check your water parameters, and make sure that your pH, calcium and alkalinity and temp/salinity are all pretty stable before adding coral.