Beginner Fish

snipe

Speg did you even read what I said?
Even if the fish survives it will always be injured from the cycling process.
Once its gills are injured there like that forever.

mudplayerx

Imagine a house that has vents for air conditioning. Imagine everytime the AC comes on that smoke from burning tires billows into the house. Now try to picture yourself in this house with no control over the vents, and no way to open the windows or unlock the doors.
You may die after a month of this. You may live... but not without consequence. More than likely you are going to get some sort of lung disease; probably one that is painful and causes you to have a constant, productive cough. Furthermore, you probably have had some cell mutation that results in cancer and the shortening of your life span.
After a month, the doors are unlocked. A man in a suit and spectacles walks up to you and thanks you for breaking in his new house.

lion_crazz

Very good example, mudplayer.
You forget though. After the man in the suit walks up and thanks you for breaking in his new house, he takes you back to the store! The poor, suffering, damsel doesn't even usually get to live in the "house" that he broke in. How would this make you feel, Speg?
If you still do not see why we are telling you not to cycle with damsels, I question you as to why you are keeping a fish tank in the first place.

speg

I see your point.. *cough*
Have you ever eaten meat?
What is the difference from me buying a fish.. and down the road it dies..
from you having a taste for beef which comes from a cow that you have slaughtered for your 'enjoyment' when you coulda just ate a apple?
You wanna question why I am keeping a fish tank.. for my enjoyment.. the same enjoyment that comes to you when you see all you can eat fish&shrimp for $9.99 at your local buffet.
I dont know which is worse.. me buying a fish that was bred to be watched through a crowded glass bowl..
Or you paying $10.99 a lb for a chunk of a cow bred to be slaughtered to feed you..
Unless you stand firmly on not eating meat, or skinning animals, or slaughtering for ivory.. then you should question why you questioned me.
Enjoy@once.

speg

Btw, what is the difference of using a shrimp that was caught and kept out of water long enough to sufficate it so that you can eat it (or cycle your tank with it).. and buying a damsel to let swim around your tank or possibly die.. I dont understand what reasoning you could have there.. are you saying a shrimps life is less important than a fish? Who are you to judge a life?
You made this personal sadly.. now im unhappy.

mudplayerx

A cow is killed instantaneously as the result of head trauma before it's body is processed into meat products. A fish being subjected to needless suffering over a period of 30+ days which results in permanent respiratory injury can not be compare to this.
I never meant for this to become personal Speg (and it still isn't). However, I do not want this becoming some sort of Greenpeace rally either :p

ophiura

Originally Posted by Speg
I wish someone would explain to me why NOT to cycle your tank with damsels/chromis? I cycled using damsels and I could join the COP club!

IMO, cycling with damsels only has one advantage, and it is the money you give to the LFS. That's why they push it, they can make a fortune in the end. And just because you didn't have any die, doesn't mean others won't. In most classic damsel cycling, several fish do die.
So while it is a VALID way to cycle a tank, I see little benefit to doing it unless you own a fish store.
BTW, I am opposed to harvesting elephants for ivory...

snipe

I love to eat meat and fish. Its just making the fish suffer isnt right. When I ketch fish I keep it alive I dont just throw it in the boat and let it choke to death I put it on stringer and place it back in the water or I put it in a livewell. It takes a few seconds for my fish to die it takes a month or more for yours.

speg

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
A cow is killed instantanously

Are they?
Ever heard the statement 'like a chicken running around with its head cut off' ? I wonder how that statement came about =c)
btw mudplayer you did not make it personal.. that lion fellow questioned my reasoning for being in this 'hobby'.

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by ophiura
BTW, I am opposed to harvesting elephants for ivory...
I have an elephant in my backyard. We feed it peanuts. He also likes beer. :hilarious

speg

im over my anger now anyways.. I went to my room.. move some coral/rocks around.. watched my fishies.. and went to that happy place. :happyfish

mudplayerx

Good! We are all friends here at the Pizza Place....I mean SWF.com
I wish I could run around once I got my head cut off, chickens are lucky.

ophiura

I hope we can get back to the original question, but I would also say that we cause a lot of fish to suffer, even if we do not cycle with damsels. No one should really question why anyone else is in the hobby on this basis. Unless in your years of keeping tanks, you've only bought tank raised fish and never had one die...maybe then you can claim some sort of exemption. But huge numbers of fish die in an LFS or before that, just waiting to be bought, they are put into small cramped tanks and come down with diseases. All so we can go to the store and pick one out. So be careful throwing the first piece of live rock and anyone else.
JMO :D
I previously suggested damsels to cycle, but I now believe there are superior ways - less cruel, and less costly, to cycle a tank.

mudplayerx

I think we were talking about elephants, beer, chickens without heads and peanuts, please stay on topic Ophiura lol.
I agree. I bought another Mandarin goby today (don't worry its a female, has the small dorsal) and it was so starved for food that its belly actually went inwards like someone took an icecream scoop to it. Poor damn thing didn't hide or anything after acclimating... it started eating copepods as soon as it hit the sand.

ophiura

I assume you only provide that elephant with "Elephant Beer" (product of Denmark).
You know, just for kicks, I typed "elephant beer india" in google and came up with some darn good stories.

mudplayerx

I'm going to have to check that out. I wonder what kind of pics you'd get if you typed it into goog's image search engine.
EDIT- LOL Drunken elephants terrorizing India!!! I did the search, that was a hoot.
Guwahati, Assam, India, Oct. 27 (UPI) -- A herd of drunk elephants trampled three people to death after guzzling local rice beer in a village in northeast India, wildlife officials said Wednesday.

ophiura

Nothing that interesting photo wise.
"It has been noticed that elephants have developed a taste for rice beer and local liquor and they always look for it when they invade villages," an elephant expert in Guwahati told Reuters news agency.
They've killed several people in these rampages. Watch out with yours. And I wouldn't keep an elephant in anything smaller than a 6' tank either. Don't get me started :rolleyes:
So, uh, hardier fish for once a tank is cycled, huh?
Grammas, dottybacks (both aggressive so do some research), clowns, damsels, sixline wrasse....