Beginner SPS

cedarreef

I have a 46 bow with some softies right now... starting slow. The tank has been up for about 3 years as a FO, but only a month running reef. I'm getting a sump/fuge in a week or 2 when it comes in the mail with a corallife super skimmer. I know that SPS like calcium around 450 and alk at like 7-9+. I'm waiting for the red sea reef master test kit to come into stock here so I can order it and check my levels. My salt has good calcium and mag so I don't think I'll need to dose as I do a 5g water change every week. I have 2 150w 20k MHs. I will have a Koralia 3 (850gph) soon along with a 600gph return. Once I get levels good, I want to get into SPS. I've heard that monti caps are pretty hardy. Is this true? The SPS on my list would be:
Purple monti cap
green stylophora
pink birdsnest
blue tort
red planet table
Are these some good starter choices?

aquaguy24

all in ur list are easy..but im not sure about the red planet as i do not have one yet..but the rest i do have and are very easy...start out with a monti cap and see how it goes.. a healty monti cap will have a white or blue rim as it grows in my experience..anywho..get everything set up first..test ur water then try the monti..good luck..

steelytom

I think your flow may be a little low for acros. You will probably be ok with the purple cap. SPS like high, random flow. you don't get that with one hydor 3. The return pump probably does not give much flow. You also need to keep nitrates and phosphates to a minimum. Any fast spike or drop in kH will cause problems as well. I would add another hydor 4 or a maxi jet 1200 with the mod. those things really put out some flow. Maybe try a millipora before you try acropora. I would also try a cheaper frag before trying the tort or red planet.

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by CedarReef
http:///forum/post/2935505
Sounds good. How many gph are the modded maxi-jets?
you may only need one MJ1200 as the mods give them either 1600 or 2100 gph depending on which propellar you use.

str8salt

I would use the smaller one. More angles with a lower per pump flow will give you a more confused flow. 2100gph facing one direction would most likely create a circling current in a 46. If you suction cups are decent they will hold the maxi/mod quite well. Magnets would be better but the cups will do if you need to upgrade in parts. Congrats on the reef step-up. Happy reefing.

str8salt

I would use the smaller one. More angles with a lower per pump flow will give you a more confused flow. 2100gph facing one direction would most likely create a circling current in a 46. If you suction cups are decent they will hold the maxi/mod quite well. Magnets would be better but the cups will do if you need to upgrade in parts. Congrats on the reef step-up. Happy reefing.

cedarreef

I have the large prop in now and its moving sand all to one side and stuff so I'm going to change to the smaller prop. I do have the magnets, too. They're GREAT!

topfins-mj

Cedarreef,
I had the modded maxie in my 46 at one point and it caused such a mess. This tank is too small for them. The water moves so hard that I could not get a nice random flow. I would say use the stock Maxie 1200 facing eachother up above. I use a wavemaker to create the random currents as well.
I also use two Koralia's hitting th efront of the tank. If you can spare the cash, and are willing to experiment, then get two mods for the maxxies and try them out for yourself.

cedarreef

I just have the smaller prop on one maxi plus my return... I went out and bought a red monti cap about a week or 2 ago, and already see noticeable growth. It's in a high light and strong flow area of the tank. My next trip to my LFS, I'll probably be picking up a pink birdsnest frag that the owner is giving me for free to test the waters for different SPS.