Beginnerish Question

the_bandit

Not sure if it's just me but I feel like my fish are acting odd. They seem kinda lazy. I have a 55g tank. All parameters check out well. No flucuation. I have had my hands in the tank alot lately. Had to tear apart the tank to capture a Flame Angel. My mated pair of FPC are just kinda hanging out under a rock. My 1'' Sailfin Tang is shy and isn't active like Blue or Yellow Tangs that I see. All my corals are doing good and prosperus oh and my little Blue Damsel is always hiding. Its like Im the abusive step mom. I don't chase the fish or rap on the glass. I rarely bother them except when tweaking or adding corals. Not sure what other info to give. Just need to know if this is normal or not. They do seem extra lazy right after I feed them.
Do I just have really comfortable fish?

aquaguy24

How long have the fish been in the tank. Give them time to fully aclimate. Takes a few months sometime for fish to really come out and explore. The fish u have in ur tank are known to be shy so just giventhem time. Try not suprise them to much. Let them know ur in the room then walk up to the tank

the_bandit

They have been in for two months. And many people come into my room. Young and old. I just needed to know if it was normal or not.

taznut

Originally Posted by aquaguy24
http:///forum/post/3069183
How long have the fish been in the tank. Give them time to fully aclimate. Takes a few months sometime for fish to really come out and explore. The fish u have in ur tank are known to be shy so just giventhem time. Try not suprise them to much. Let them know ur in the room then walk up to the tank
FPC are shy??? every time i get close to the tank to look at my corals mine swim in front of my face so all i see is them
... my yellow and lawnmower are kinda skiddish but my hippo and FPC's aren't at all... the clowns bite my are when i put it in the tank and never leave the front of the tank... i have never seem them swim in the LR...
sounds kinda strange to me... could stray voltage cause this???

tank a holic

I'd say your corals would be the first thing to go, so if they're fine your water must be ok
rummaging through a tank and moving everything can be stressfull on fish, kill the lights for a day and the next they'll be fine

taznut

i dont think stray voltage always effects corals... the reason i mention this is because i had a bad heater in my old tank, the corals and fish were fine but it sucked when i touched the metal sink while moving rocks in the tank... lol...
but i think the voltage thing effects fish more... idk for sure, does anyone else know more about this???

ophiura

Originally Posted by tank a holic
http:///forum/post/3069218
I'd say your corals would be the first thing to go, so if they're fine your water must be ok
rummaging through a tank and moving everything can be stressfull on fish, kill the lights for a day and the next they'll be fine
I disagree, personally. Many organic toxins kill fish and leave inverts completely untouched.
What are your specific water parameters? What flow do you have in the tank.

aquaguy24

depending on each individual fish some can take longer then 2 months and some feel right at home the first week. All my fish seem to not come out as much even my clowns(always near wat it's hosting) after being in my tank for 7 months. Then I got this orange shoulder tang, now everyone is out exploring all the time. I don't know y it's so strange to hear some clowns are shy. I dought that it's stray voltage if he has his hand in the tank most of the time.