beginning my 35-40 gallon hex

burch2006

I'm debating what kind of lights to put on top. Tank is like 4ft tall, and I want a clam in with the seahorses. Whats the best stuff to put on the substrate for them to cling too? I want it to look as real as possible.

teresaq

Clams and horses don't mix. Horses are too slow. Clams can hurt them badly. If this can happen to a healthy tang just think what it would do to a slow moving horse.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/271837/oh-my-god-grip-of-death
as far as hitches, most people use fake stuff. you can use dead seafans, macro alges. tonga branch.

indjen98

I have my horses in my 35 gal hex. It is a bit of a pain as you can not put real plants in it cause the light does not get deep enough down. On the other hand the tank gives them tons of room. I have a few bits of live rock, a fake coral and plant I got at walmart and today I found a fake plant at Pet Supply Plus. The plant sits on the bottom of the tank and just about reaches the top of it. I also have a few snails in the tank, but they are getting removed soon. I thought it would help with the "clean up", but once in awhile I will find a horse wrapped around one then it thrashes back and forth to get free as the snail will cling to it. Not a good thing.

reefnutpa

Agreed. Clams are not a seahorse-safe tankmate. Hex tanks are really a PITA to light properly without the use of halide pendants to penetrate the depth of the water.
Tom

You can get red macros like gracillera or red fire bush...they do fine under low to med. lights...On my hex tank I run 50/50 power compacts and my reds grow fine , along with codium which is a green macro that needs med. light-med. flow...you can find them at live-plants dot com....thats where I buy all my macros .Just don't buy the browns...they need halides to survive, and will melt without the high lighting....

dingus890

Yes do not mix clams with seahorses.They can close there mantle on the horses tail and hurt the horses badly.

premilove

+1 on lighting for a hex. i had a hex for a good 8 months. i used a K2 150 watt and that was barely enough. same exact tank as yours. i literally had to bring down the k2 to the surface of the water for my zoas towards the bottomof the tank to be happy..