Beginning to cycle a new tank with tap water

andrewwhisenhun

Ok I know RO/DI water is the obvious choice to fill a tank. But I was wondering if anyone has had any success at beginning the tank using fresh water. I have 125 gal tank and I do not have the money for a RO unit. Would dechlorinated tap water be ok to use just to start the cycling process?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwhisenhun http:///t/396541/beginning-to-cycle-a-new-tank-with-tap-water#post_3533378
Ok I know RO/DI water is the obvious choice to fill a tank. But I was wondering if anyone has had any success at beginning the tank using fresh water. I have 125 gal tank and I do not have the money for a RO unit. Would dechlorinated tap water be ok to use just to start the cycling process?
Hi,

Welcome to the site....

The most important thing in a fish tank is the water quality
. If Chlorine was the only thing in tap water, you would be just fine...but your fish don't need bacteria inhibitors (you know, the good stuff we try to get going called a cycle) or fluoride. The water quality is not the place to pinch the pennies, it's the very life of your expensive fish tank..

I couldn't afford an RO unit at first either....Walmart sells RO water for 37 cents a gallon. That means for UNDER $50.00, you can save yourself a whole lot of grief. I still have those 5g jugs, they do come in handy even now 14 years later...when a jug gets old or nasty...I take it in for a swap, and pay an extra dollar for a new jug already filled as opposed to filling the old jug and paying just for the water.

I can't afford new filters all the time, so I have Culligan water, they maintain my unit, and swap out the filters. $39.99 a month and I have water for cooking, drinking and both of my tanks...and no more hauling jugs of water from Walmart. The little RO faucet even has a TDS meter on it, anything over 10, and the green light turns red. last time I tested the TDS, it was 4.

andrewwhisenhun

That is good to know that Walmart sells the water for that price; however, with a 125 gallon tank I just don't see that being a practical way to fill for the first time. 25 jugs seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. I guess I will just wait for an RO unit. :(

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwhisenhun http:///t/396541/beginning-to-cycle-a-new-tank-with-tap-water#post_3533381
That is good to know that Walmart sells the water for that price; however, with a 125 gallon tank I just don't see that being a practical way to fill for the first time. 25 jugs seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. I guess I will just wait for an RO unit. :(

Hi,

The first time I filled my tank, I didn't have those 5g jugs. I had every container I could get my hands on with a lid. Friends will save gallon jugs and rinse them for you. One neighbor kept seeing me and my husband come home and leave, over and over again...and later said she couldn't figure out what the heck we were doing, she laughed when she found out we were filling the fish tank.

If you really feel going back and forth to get water is too much hassle, how will you feel about maintenance on the tank later? A 125g is big beautiful tank, and when it comes to saltwater, the bigger the better, but also the more work and set up cost. Most people complain about the cost of set up, not the work.

You don't have to fill the tank all at once either...take a few days or a week or so. You could also have a tank filling party, everybody bring a couple of jugs of RO water from Walmart and order a couple of pizzas once the tank is filled.

People have filled their tank with tap water, it isn't like it's never been done before. I feel bad, like I crushed your happiness....If you use tap water, it just means that you may
have serious water quality issues later down the road, some folks fill the tank with tap, and every water change and top off they use RO. I hate to think you have to put everything on hold over a few jugs of water.

pstanley

I have filled all of my previous tanks with tap water and have had algae problems in every one :-( Can't say for sure that they were connected but I am not taking any chances this time.....I would definitely get some RO/DI water from Walmart.

mr llimpid

Yep + one wait, algea is just on e of the many problem you can get with tap water. A 50gal 3 stage corelife RO/DI is about $140, this what I have for my 135gal tank, works great.

p65t

I just went down to Walmart and filled 8, 5 gallon jugs for about $13. I was stunned. If I had known it was that cheap I would have done it long ago. I then drained out all my tap water (most anyway and replaced. I have no fish yet, I was just starting the cycle. I'm thankful to all the knowledgeable people on this site who pointed me that way.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by p65t http:///t/396541/beginning-to-cycle-a-new-tank-with-tap-water#post_3533412
I just went down to Walmart and filled 8, 5 gallon jugs for about $13. I was stunned. If I had known it was that cheap I would have done it long ago. I then drained out all my tap water (most anyway and replaced. I have no fish yet, I was just starting the cycle. I'm thankful to all the knowledgeable people on this site who pointed me that way.

Hi,

Although it had nothing to do with me...when I read that a new member got some great input here on the site, BEFORE there was a problem...awesome! If I haven't said it yet...Welcome to the site.

tur4k

Did my initial fill with tap water. I had some early algae issues. It all worked out in the end, but if I had to do it again I'd buy five or six 5gal jugs from the beginning and make four or five trips to the store for water. Well..I'd make those trips if I didn't own my spectrapure maxcap 5 stage RO/DI unit.