Berlin system question

puffdad

I am still in the process of learning the berlin system & doing my research on filtration, so pardon my misunderstanding of the subject...but, you don't need any mechanical filtration to remove large waste items when you use the berlin system? Per the ongoing 'prizm skimmer' post by Fishgirl, advice was that you don't need any such filtration.
IF the answer is yes according to the system, just wondering...does anyone disagree & utilize mechanical filtration anyways?
[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: puffdad ]

bobj

Protein skimming is an integral part of the Berlin method.
Also consider activated carbon filtration. Some soft coral and invertebrates emit noxious chemicals. Green macroalgae metabolism produces yellow tints. Both of these substances can be removed by the carbon filter.

puffdad

Thanks for the response Bob. Let me clarify the question more as it pertains to the setup I am planning.
For a Fish Only with Live Rock & a protien skimmer, I am trying to understand whether a canister filter is necessary.
Sometime back it seems SALTY suggested just using a sponge as mechanical filtration, so I assume that means in place of the canister filter (am I assuming right, Salty?) Where do I put the sponge?
Also an open question for me while I'm at it: How/where in the filtration system should an overflow be located? At the intake to the protein skimmer?
And Bob, where in the system should the carbon? (I do want to use since I will have Live Rock).
Other info: I'm not planning to use a sump (yet at least...that is still a plan for my next tank after this!) or a wet/dry filter. I will use a HOB skimmer. As you can see this whole overflow/ mechanical (canister) filtration has me confused. -> should I get a canister filter so I can put the carbon AND sponge in it???
Thanks

broomer5

puffdad,
I'll give ya my impression on these various filtration methods.
1) True reef tank - very few if any fish, mainly for displaying and growing LPS,SPS corals and other inverts - Berlin Method works great - Relies primairily on large amounts of live rock, bigtime protein skimmers and additives for coral growth.
2) Modified semi reef tank - corals and fish, mainly a mixture of all types of sealife, corals, fish, inverts, whatever. Heavy on the live rock, deep sandbed, protein skimmer and additives for coral growth. Larger bioloads sometimes require use of supplemental filtration like canister, wet/drys, powerfilters, etc.
3) Fish only with liver rock - FOWLR - mainly a fish display tank with added benefits that live rock can give, both in nitrfying/denitrfying bacteria and asthetics. Large loads on filtration due to large fish populations. All types of filtration systems use here as well, wet/drys, canisters, powerfilters, etc. Protein skimmers not absolutely necessary, but will help water quality no doubt.
4) Fish only - FO - well sort of speaks for itself. A saltwater fishtank, no live rock, and most of the filtration depends on internal/external devices, wet/drys, canisters, powerfilters, etc. Again a protein skimmer aids in water quality.
I suppose if you look at it, true reef tanks are the most demanding for excellent water quality. As you start adding more fish to the equation, sometimes you need additional filtration equipment.
But I listed only 4 examples and each of them can have subsets within their groups. The options are endless with the combinations of different filtration methods some with/without substrates, live rock, sand, live sand, skimmers, refugiums, wet/drys, powerfilters, canisters, sponges, deep sand beds, and this is just filtration.
As long as you provide adaquate mechanical, chemical and biological filtration, the animals will survive. More than adaquate, and the animals will thrive and the maintanance goes down.
Just my take on the subject - I sure wish some others would add to this or correct me if I have wandered off ......
Brian

puffdad

Thanks Broomer. Killer tanks, by the way.
I will be doing an aggressive FOWLR, and maybe a little live sand, and a protien skimmer. No problem deciding here
Anyone who can answer questions about the overflow/sponge/canister/carbon questions will help.