Berlin Turbo VS. Prizm Pro

stacy

I'm looking to purchase a new skimmer that will be going on a 70 gallon reef. I plan on setting up this tank very slowly. I'll be adding 200lbs LS, and 100 lbs. LR. I'll have 2 maxijet 600 powerheads for circulation. I'm undecided as to what/if filter I'll be using. Any one heard anything about the new prizms? Should I just go with the berlin? Are there any other comparable skimmers in the same price range as these?

cap'n pete

I have a Prizm and wished I bought something else. The flow rate can never by turned past approx. 25% or you get wet foam and bubbles in the tank. I have had several people say that they are happy with their "new seaclone 100's". After a break in period they can run full blast with no bubbles in the outflow. A CPR BakPak with the overflow and bubble reducer might be a good buy also. About anything else is going to start running about $200 or more and be rated for much bigger tank.

mb4000

I agree with Cap'n pete. Once the seaclone is modded people seem to love it. They make the seaclone 150 for pretty cheap. I had a seaclone a few years ago and I really liked the original for the price. It's not a euroreef, and it's not 600 dollars either.

mb4000

Think of it like this. A ferrari cost 5 times more than a stratus. Ferrari will win in a race but both will get you there.
You get what you pay for.

mb4000

Anthem. What hang on skimmer do you recommend since you have'nt recommended one yett. If stacy is not going to do a sump then the seaclone is as good as any , especialy if you do the simple modifications to it. I would'nt recommend it if she has a sump ( euroreef all the way ).

stacy

I'm not going to do a sump at this time. Maybe later on. For know I'd just like to know if anyone has any opinions on the new Prizm. The guy at the LFS changed his berlin on his own tank to the new Prizm. So far he's been happy, but I know they get incentives to sell new products. I do have the seaclone 100 on my 55 aggressive, and have been happy with that.

lurch694u

Anthem what should I replace my prizm hang on with??? The prizm at first I thought it was good but I'm sick and tired fiddling with the flow rate. Plus sometimes I come home from work and it is running but not pouring water back into the tank. I'm going to tell red sea to rename it to sh#%zm skimmer... :mad:

jjboods

Anthem,
You obviously seem to be the authority here. I couldn't agree more about the Prism! I don't know what all the praise is about the Prism from people here...I took it off and ran it through the dishwasher, put it in the box, and am shipping right back. That leaves me with a new problem...now what? I really would prefer not doing a sump. The cost is a little prohibitive right now and I am afraid of the horror stories about power outages and overflow. Also, I am VERY tight for spabe behind the tank and can't move it much because I have an AquaStarLight light fixture hanging from the ceiling. It seems like your advice would be to get the Remora Pro with a bigger pump. My tank is a 55L with about 45 pounds LR, crushed coral, a Hippo Tang, a Yellow Tang, a Kole Tang, a pair of Clowns, 2 Scooter Blennies, a Strawberry Pseudo, a Brain Coral, an Alveopora(which from what I've read will die soon, a Maxima Clam, a Bubble Tip Anemone, and a Cleaner Shrimp.
Finally, the question...would the CPR BakPak2 be a good bang for the buck? I really didn't want to spend over $200 for the RemoraPro.

david s

imo a prizm or a seaclone 100 is to small for a 70 gal for a low cost skimmer I would recomend berlin turbo hob I can only go by the skimmers I have used wich is prizm seaclone backpack and berlin Imo berlin turbo is far the best out of the 4

wamp

I would say the Berlin Hang On is a good skimmer. I agree there are better but thats the case with any product.