Berlin Vs Remora

norcal

what do you think is a better buy for my new 55Gal FO tank. An AquaC Remora or a Red Sea Berlin classic. let me know why you chose what you did as well. thanks

murph

Good question. I am in the market for one also. The Berlin can be had locally. The Remora has to be set away for. Going to see how UPS does with my lights first. if they come in one piece I may send out for a Remora. Haven't heard a bad word about them so far.

teresaq1

I have a Remora c pro, and love it for my 55 gal. it is very easy to operate. just hang on and go, no adjusting.

fishmamma

I have the hang on Aqua C's on both of my tanks and have been very happy with them. Just make sure to go with the MaxiJet PH over the Rio.

thangbom

berlin skimmers suck big time.... they are the suckiest skimmer i'v ever seen in action.... i'd take a jebo over it anyday.... but a remora over a jebo anyday..

yupi1982

hahaha no contest that is true , i have an Acua c remora pro on my 120 g tank and is awesomeeeee
good comparison is like a ferrary agains a mazda or a mitsubishi

jmick

Yeah, the Berlin sucks! Go with the Aqua-C and you will not be disappointed (actually, if you can afford it, I’d go with the Aqua-C Remora Pro)! I bought mine locally with pump for less then $200.

ophiura

I've only used a Berlin skimmer (or shall I say never used the Remora). Berlin skimmers aren't bad but they aren't plug and play, IMO. Often take a good deal of adjustment and I'm cool with tweeking it. But mine pulls out a lot of gunk - definitely needs to be cleaned daily - and I am pleased with its performance. However, I am using the kent venturi instead of the Berlin one, and also a mag 7 pump instead of the Rio 2500 or whatever it comes with.
And if it is not an in sump model, I definitely wouldn't do the Berlin...the Berlin hang on is a bit too large.

diane4

I started my saltwater hobby with a 90 gallon tank with a Red Sea Berlin classic skimmer. Hate it. It takes a lot of tweaking and I have YET to get a full cup of foam. Stinks. I have it about 3 months and will be getting rid of it after my new skimmer comes in.
On my 50 gallon reef tank, I use a AquaC Remora and just love it. Work like a charm. But the cup fills frequently, if you don't keep and eye on it every other day or so, it will overflow the top and start to hit the wall. Keep on top of the rinse outs and you will be fine.
I noticed that the Aqua C Remoras now come with a cup that has a drain fitting. Now you can hook up a hose that runs the cup overflow down to another container so you don't have to constantly rinse the collection cup. Makes maintenance easier. I will see if I can get mine swapped out for the new model. I can't recommend enough the Aqua C Remora, first hand experience - they rule. I got mine through {LINK VIOLATION}
I had ordered back in the middle of July a Euro-Reef also through {LINK VIOLATION - out of respect to the owner and operator of this site, please do not post links to competitors! Thanks! :happyfish: }But since the Euro Reef skimmers are hand assembled and made, they are high quality but you wait for them. I contacted {LINK VIOLATION} today to see when mine would be coming in, they said it would now be at least until the middle of Sept. I can't wait that long, don't want to spend another minute with the Red Sea Berlin. Maybe it's me and I didn't tweak the red sea berlin skimmer enough or right, but it just does not work well. I can understand it not working well right now because I still have my tank in hypo and with the decreased salt, there would be less gunk - not enough salt to make foam.
So, I gave up and told {LINK VIOLATION} to cancel the Eruo-Reef and send me the AquaC EV-180. They said that unit is more powerfull than the Euro-Reef model I originally ordered and they promised I would not be unhappy.
I don't doubt it, I love my Aqua C Remora. I paid extra to have it shipped 2nd day. I will post a follow up to let you know how I like the new skimmer.
Good luck to you.

ophiura

Keep in mind there is a lot of personal preference involved here. For example, I am not looking for a cup full of foam...I am looking for dry foam, sludge, maybe about 1/2" of concentrated liquid and this I get daily from my Berlin skimmer. I want to HAVE to clean that skimmer cup daily as I think it is very important. So for me, a drain fitting to a collection container is definitely not something I want. I personally don't think it is the best idea, and always suggested people tie off any tubing to a collection container so that you get in the habit of cleaning the skimmer cup frequently. This ensures that the skimmer is performing at its best.
So there is a lot of debate and personal preference involved in what you want the skimmer to do, IMO. My Berlin had the price tag of "FREE" and I would not consider it the best skimmer in its price range for sure. But it does what I expect it to do. Over time, with more experience, you may find that even skimmers people are recommending are not doing what you want them exactly to do, so opinions may change over time...and most certainly with more experience.

oceana

i also love the aqua C pro. but l;ike said above dont bother with the Rio pump. i went with a mag drive

diane4

Yes, the bundled package on {LINK VIOLATION - out of respect to the owner and operator of this board PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS TO COMPETITORS, THanks!} has the mag drive 7. I am looking forward to it.

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Beth
Get a RemoraPro, but AVOID fitting it with a RIO. AVOID.
What was the problem with that again....
*as i look at my aqua C with the rio :notsure: *

ophiura

I believe the general issue is the overall sketchiness of RIO pumps and the (not unlikely) possibility that it might fry in bad ways.

oceana

Originally Posted by sw65galma
What was the problem with that again....
*as i look at my aqua C with the rio :notsure: *

when your pump blows up one day and frys your tank you will understand.
also put MAg on your aqua c and watch your skimmer COME TO LIFE!!

irish rage

I'm actually shopping the Remora's right now and am curious if I should just buy the pro instead of the standard for a 55 gallon? I don't imagine I would use this skimmer on a bigger tank (125g-225g) anytime in the future so is the pro really that much better?
Also could you eventually retro-fit either model into a custom sump down the road? I imagine you could but just want to make sure.
Oh and last question :joy: Are the Surface Pre-Filter boxs that they sell as an option worth investing in?
Thanks for any answers

oceana

yes i think the pro is worth the cash. and no i dont think the skimmer box is needed. they do work but imo the results are minimal. i dont even bother using mine anymore.