Best Actinic Bulbs

gio28

i've been looking into various types of actinic lighting..like T5, VHO, etc (if theres any other type). i've been reading mixed things about different bulbs and brands and bulb types and im getting real confused. im looking for a great actinic bulb that will supplement the great look of my phoenix 14K MH and give plenty of fluorescence and PAR to my corals.
what im asking, in your opinion, is what actinic bulb type (t5, VHO) and brand will give me these 4 things:
-good PAR for my corals
-good fluorescence for my corals
-good combination with my phoenix 14K bulb
-in terms of price which is better (T5 need reflectors, VHO have them included; which lasts longer, which performs better)
any ideas or help would be great. thanks.

gio28

i guess nobody know what a good actinic bulb is

any input on VHO vs T5? should i go with VHO and buy the ULV ones with internal reflectors , or T5 w/ individual external reflectors. im looking for whichever one gives more watts or PAR. the VHO give 75 watts and the T5 give 24...but the T5 reflectors increase that. which is better overall...price and performance?

cdposey26

I would go with the ATI Blue+, its not an actinic bulb, its a little bluer and better par, imo much better than the actinics. If I were going to go with a t5 actinic I would go with geisseman true actinic but its not worth the extra cost the ATI blue plus is better and cheaper imho. Good luck

gio28

i've looked at the bulbs you recommended and i am leaning more towards the true actinic bulbs that are at the 420nm. there are several top brands that sell this type of bulb that i found:
-ATI True Actinic 03
-Giesemann Pure Actinic PowerChrome
-UVL Super Actinic
i dont know which to pick, or if it even matters, but all of them claim to bring out the ultimate fluorescence in corals...which is what i want. i think it will also give a crisp blue look if i used any of them with my 14000K Phoenix.
which IYO is the best? anybody?
i really like the lighting of this tank in the attachment...

jackri

If you're using them with 14k phoenix metal halide lighting... the halide lighting will overpower any difference between the bulbs anyways IMO

gio28

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3118847
If you're using them with 14k phoenix metal halide lighting... the halide lighting will overpower any difference between the bulbs anyways IMO
i was actually just staring at my tank a few minutes ago imagining what the T5 would look like with my phoenix...and i thought about it taking away from the bluer look. if it makes a difference my phoenix is only 150watts so maybe the power of 48watts of T5 + reflectors will make more of an impact. i guess if will have to see the results when i decide.
would you recommend true actinic or the blue plus for supplemental lighting for my MH?
thanks.

jackri

I always go with the true actinic... but I've never seen the blue plus in person or know much about them.. sorry that's not a help :)

gio28

i was leaning towards true actinic so i'll try those out. they also will put off more blue probably. thanks.

gio28

sweet...thats what i thought. i looked at PAR for the true actinic and blue plus bulbs and found that blue plus has double the PAR of true actinic. even though true actinic has a bluer look. i might have to compromise on less blue and go with blue plus because the ATI Blue Plus bulbs have great PAR. either way i narrowed it down to Giesemann Pure Actinic (for 100% actinic) or ATI Blue Plus (more PAR). thanks everyone for your help.

gio28

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3119018
No better actinic than a VHO Super Actinic R

i've been looking at that bulb as well if i go with VHO. do you or anybody else know the PAR for it? and the life? thanks.

gio28

i decided to go with T5 not VHO because i can get a T5 retro for $70 and VHO retros cost way more for some reason. anyways i need help deciding on one last thing:
the main thing im concerned about is PAR. if my 14000K phoenix (150watts) already puts out adequate PAR for SPS and LPS, then i will go with true actinic bulbs...if i need more PAR added to my MH then i will go with blue plus. i really want true actinic but i want to make sure i have enough PAR for all types of corals...blue plus gives like 2X as much as true actinic, but i like true actinic more. the question is: will my phoenix + 2 Giesemann pure actinics provide good PAR for the most light demanding corals? thanks.

nycbob

for 36 gallon, a 150w mh is enough if u place ur corals or inverts accordingly. but if u want more growth, then go with blue plus.

gio28

i'll place SPS and LPS at the top if i go with the bluer look of true actinic. plus i dont want so much light that mushrooms and softies wont be able to be kept. thanks for your help.

reefraff

Originally Posted by gio28
http:///forum/post/3119528
i'll place SPS and LPS at the top if i go with the bluer look of true actinic. plus i dont want so much light that mushrooms and softies wont be able to be kept. thanks for your help.
You could always go with one blue and one actinic. You can also use two UVL Super Actinics or the ATI Actinic which both have more blue light than a Pure Actinic and a little more PAR too.

gio28

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3120899
You could always go with one blue and one actinic. You can also use two UVL Super Actinics or the ATI Actinic which both have more blue light than a Pure Actinic and a little more PAR too.
i think i'll try the UVL 75.25 blend for one bulb that helped me out with on my other thread, and then the UVL super actinic for the other. that way i'll have a nice crisp blue tint to my tank for the best fluorescence in corals and also a little light in the 700NM range as well. sound good? thanks.