best actinic for a metal halide

civickid

Im looking at getting some lights for my 225 that is 6 feet long and 3 feet deep and was looking at the different actinic and i was thinking These are the options
power compact
Vho
T5
Im getting either 3-250's or 3-150's havent decided yet.

teen

i would do the t-5s or the vho's. the pc wont be much use to anything in the tank. at least the corals will benefit from the t-5 or vho in addition to the MH.

ratrod

My tank is 252g and 96 inches long I run, 4 160w 72" blue actinics, 4 250w 10k MH and 2 400w 14k MH. The tank is 25" deep. Go for the big guns if you can the hqi's are OK but there nothing compared to the screw type

1journeyman

Originally Posted by ratrod
.... Go for the big guns if you can the hqi's are OK but there nothing compared to the screw type
Do you have any reviews of this? From what I've read and seen HQI's are actually the way to go. They produce equal lighting and are a bit cooler. That's the way I understand it anyway.
I've asked the fellow sharks to look at this and make sure I'm correct.

a sea k

You should def. go with the 250 DE at 30" depth. I did not. Went with 150's instead and am currently researching my upgrade. My tank is 30" deep as well.
1journeyman, My research so far has led me to 250DE w/ M-80 ballast, This combo produces close to the same PAR values as the 400 mogul without the heat and power consumption. The electronic ballast are more efficient but lack some of the Par of the M-80. Do you agree with 250DE/M-80 combo or do you feel there is options available for a tank this deep?

dejaco

My 210 is 27" deep. I was told anything over 24" to go with 250 watt MH and over 30" to go 400 watt MH. The reading I have done supports this theory. As far as lighting combinations with the 10,000k Mh I suggest going with 72" VHO in a double at least. Addition 320 watts will be nice for colors. One actinic white and one actinic blue combination will bring out colors nicely.

ratrod

by 1 journyman
Do you have any reviews of this? From what I've read and seen HQI's are actually the way to go. They produce equal lighting and are a bit cooler. That's the way I understand it anyway.
I've asked the fellow sharks to look at this and make sure I'm correct.
I've had a lot of poeple tell me the same, but I dont agree, if you put the HQIs next to the screw type of MH there's no comparison. It is true they run with less heat and poeple do well with them, but overall the folks with best reefs in the world are using the screw type. A good example of an ultimate hood is the one built by stevewest. Check the archives on this site. He is also featured in the Ultimate Marine Aquarium book by by Micheal s. Paletta which imo the bible, check it out the reefs are unreal

acrylic51

I have to agree, but both types have their merits.....In reference to the Ultimate Reefs book, it should say how long the reefs have been running some are questionable IMO.

ratrod

acrylic,
are you questioning what the books saying or if its saying how long they've been up and running?

acrylic51

Yeah I do question some of it......Some systems have been really long lived and others are questionable IMO.......That issue has been raised before so it's not a new idea by me....