Best advice, 2 choices, please help

netopr

Hi, I have ick in my tank and lost a clown fish recently. My other 3 fishes (false percula, yellow watchman and purple anthias) dont seem to have any ick.
I am kind of confuced since its the first time my tank has ick...
1. Can I just take my fishes out of my display and put them in the hospital tank with a copper treatment ????? Leaving all my inverts in my display tank.........
2. Or is it better to do hypo on the display tank and put all the inverts in the hospital tank without copper....
My hospital tank doesnt have copper yet since it was recently set up. I also have alot of live rock.
1 or 2 ?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Netopr
Hi, I have ick in my tank and lost a clown fish recently. My other 3 fishes (false percula, yellow watchman and purple anthias) dont seem to have any ick.
I am kind of confuced since its the first time my tank has ick...
1. Can I just take my fishes out of my display and put them in the hospital tank with a copper treatment ????? Leaving all my inverts in my display tank.........
2. Or is it better to do hypo on the display tank and put all the inverts in the hospital tank without copper....
My hospital tank doesnt have copper yet since it was recently set up. I also have alot of live rock.
1 or 2 ?

Do you have LS? If your qt is cycled then place the fish in there and hypo that.

netopr

Well, a fishtank without fishes, ick will die right ???
I wanna stay away from hypo, but If I dont have a choice then I will go for it.
yes my QT is fully cycled been up for 2 weeks

sepulatian

Well, a fishtank without fishes, ick will die right ???
I wanna stay away from hypo, but If I dont have a choice then I will go for it.
yes my QT is fully cycled been up for 2 weeks
How is it fully cycled in two weeks? Did you add an ammonia source then wait for the spikes in ammonia and nitrite? Why would you rather use copper than hypo? Hypo is much less stressful to the fish. It is your choice though. Yes, no fish = no ich. Without a host the ich cannot host and will die off.

I personally think copper is much easier then hypo. I have tried both and both work. After the 2 weeks of copper treatment you just need to keep the fish for 6 weeks in the QT tank while the display goes fishless
With Hypo keeping it at 1.09 for 6 weeks is not easy with evaporation and PH adjusting.
Good luck

sepulatian

Originally Posted by 3stripedamsel
I personally think copper is much easier then hypo. I have tried both and both work. After the 2 weeks of copper treatment you just need to keep the fish for 6 weeks in the QT tank while the display goes fishless
With Hypo keeping it at 1.09 for 6 weeks is not easy with evaporation and PH adjusting.
Good luck
Hypo is not that hard at all IMO. But everyone is certainly entitled to their oppinion. Copper is fine for some fish but not all. Copper has to be monitored just as much as hypo does. With evaporation the copper level can become lethal.

Good point, I agree about copper on some fish is not a good idea.
Therefore I think hypo is the way to go (safer and less stressful on the fish)

netopr

Originally Posted by sepulatian
How is it fully cycled in two weeks? Did you add an ammonia source then wait for the spikes in ammonia and nitrite? Why would you rather use copper than hypo? Hypo is much less stressful to the fish. It is your choice though. Yes, no fish = no ich. Without a host the ich cannot host and will die off.
I used small cured live rock and water from my DT to make the cycle.

sepulatian

I used small cured live rock and water from my DT to make the cycle.
You may want to remove the rock and add a bit of food to the tank. Wait for an ammonia spike. When the ammonia and nitrite drop back to zero then you will know that the tank is set to go.