best algae magnet?

drewster

I think i'm gonna ask for a new algae magnet for christmas. Yeah, kinda sad but its something I need and i know they can get costly. Does anybody know which magnet will give me the most bang for my buck? I have a 75 gallon acrylic and a 55 gallon glass tank that I would need it for. If it can't do both then I just want it for the 75 gallon acrylic tank. Keep the price under $100 and let me know where i can get it. Thanks

drewster

yeah, under $100. I've seen magnets advertised for $250. Supposedly they are rare earth magnets and can handle like 2 inches of aquarium thickness. Where did you get your $25 model Mr Salty?

mr . salty

My local fish store. I think it's made by aquarium pharmacuticals.They have three diferant sizes,I got the big one.2.5x3 inches.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, what are algae magnets? I though you were talking about the magnets you use to clean algae off your glass until you mentioned the price!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
OH, LOL! Well, you guys must be getting gold plated, diamond studded magnets! The ones I got cost around $4-7.

mr . salty

I'd say about a minus three. Acrylic can be scratched with your finger if you rub it hard enough.(finger,not finger nail)

drewster

i'm used to buying $10 magnets also but its time to get a real magnet. The magnet I'm looking into right now is about $75 and is made from a rare earth magnet. They are just very very strong magnets. They even have warnings on them about getting them too close to each other when holding them with your hands.

rickt4du

The very best algae magnet I have found is called "Live Rock". Mine attracts hair algae like it's going out of style.

...rick