Best Anemone For Skunk Clown

jogre

I have 2 small Orange Skunk Clowns that would love to have an anemone to call their own. They share the tank with a Striped Damsel, about dozen hermits, a Peppermint Shrimp and some snails. There is lots of live rock in the tank, but they seem to prefer to hang out in the open. I am worried that they may be stressed out, but they otherwise seem healthy, eat well, etc. I would prefer an anemone that would be relatively easy to care for. My lighting is not the best, but it is enough to keep a Ricordea and an Umbrella Mushroom happy. It is a 37 gallon tank, over 3 years old. Good water quality overall. My only other concerns for the anemone is whether or not it will pose a threat to any of the other animals. Oh and cost, I have a limited budget. Thanks.

reefnut

You should do some research on anemones before deciding to get one... Do a search on this board and read up...

jogre

This isn't research? Seriously - why post a message like that? I have outlined a question so either answer or don't. I have done research, now I want to get some additional opinions. If anyone wants to help I would be very grateful. Thanks.

reefnut

Chill, I meant no offense. Anemones live a fraction of their natural lives in aquariums. Also, the question is what anemone your system will support.
"My lighting is not the best, but it is enough to keep a Ricordea and an Umbrella Mushroom happy."

What kind of lighting do you have?

cb

I don't have any clown fish but I do have an Condi anmeone .I understand that they are the hardiest of all . Mine prefers to stay at the bottom of the tank where the light is less. I was also told that these anemones do not require as much light as the others. I am also considering a clown fish but from the research that I have done just because there is a clown fish and a anemone in the tank does not necessarially mean that the clown will host that particular anemone..Hope this helps.

reefnut

Don't know much about the condy but here is some info from the two doctors...
The Condy Anemone requires strong light and should never be purchased if a good lighting system is not in place. It will do well in an aquarium with live rock and several crustaceans. Although a Condy requires a reef environment, it is not the best suited for the reef aquarium. The Condy Anemone moves around the tank and has a sting that can inflict grave damage to other anemones and corals. Do not include its natural predators such as the Red-Leg Hermit Crab. Unlike other anemones, the Condy Anemone does not have a relationship with any particular fish, and it is rare for any type of clownfish or damsel to reside within them.

jogre

Sorry if I was out of line. I definitely overreacted.
The lighting: It is a retrofit from an Eclipse Hood. Power Compact 55w, Smart Dual 10Q Base (not sure what that means, but it is what it says on the light). Made by Custom Sea Life.
From what I have researched the Carpet Anemone is the most compatible with the Skunk Clown, but I have not been able to find specific info about whether or not that kind of anemone would be compatible with my tank.
As a side note. Is there a substitute I can introduce to the tank that will "host" the clowns? I have seen it said that some corals will, but which ones?
Thanks.

reefnut

jogre, clowns do not "need" Anemones to be happy. Mine has hosted in the Xenia's. Also they just got done breeding for the first time about a month ago which tells me they are happy.
There are members of this board that has had their clowns host in mushrooms as well as other corals... Can't think of any other examples...

jogre

Thanks ReefNut. Cool pic too.
I know that they don't need to have a host. I got them knowing that they would do ok without one. I just expected that they would acclimate to the tank environment a little better.
They never go into the rocks, which have lots of caves and passages. They just hang out at the back of the tank, usually near the top. They sleep up there too. I guess they have chosen my powerhead as a host.
They seem healthy, so I am not overly concerned. I just wanted to explore the possibility of making them more comfortable, from my point of view.
It may be that they are still very young. I got them a couple of months ago and they were pretty small. They are still not much over 1.5 - 2 inches I would guess.

there is a lot of people that say florida condi's won't host clowns but i beg to differ.:eek: my florida condi has been hosting my marron clown for about a week now.:p

dockery07

I dont know that any one ever said they would never host a clown. But normally clowns wont host with a condy. You will always find the exception to the rule.

reefnut

jogre, well it sound like you have the best intentions for your fish :cool:...My only other concerns for the anemone is whether or not it will pose a threat to any of the other animals.
Anemone can move around the tank and harm the other corals in their way. They have also been known to swallow fish and other critter.
I would prefer an anemone that would be relatively easy to care for.

Some are easier than others but IMO they are all difficult.
This isn't research?

Yes it is :D
Sorry if I was out of line.

Not at all ;)
From what I have researched the Carpet Anemone is the most compatible with the Skunk Clown, but I have not been able to find specific info about whether or not that kind of anemone would be compatible with my tank.

Most, if not all Carpet Anemones require good lighting. The lighting in your tank will support lower light critter.
As I'm sure you can tell I'm pretty much against having Anemones... Although I have had 2. Both died within 6-8 months. Sense then I have learned enough about them that I personally will never get another one.

jogre

Thanks for everyone's input, especially ReefNut.
I do have only the best intentions for by fish and other tank critters, but that can sometimes lead to disaster. The road to hell is paved with...
It seems that the risks outweigh the benefits of adding an anemone at this time, so I will just let my clowns make the best of what the tank has to offer.

jumpfrog

I have a pair of skunk clowns and they seem just fine without an anemone. Also a pair of australian clowns and a true perc by itself. Of the three types, only the perc has bonded. With my hammer coral during the day and sleeps with a bubble coral. Weird I know. The other pairs are happy hanging by their rocks and I keep "prolifera" (sp?) macro in thos tanks to give it some "wavy look."
I think you're right abou the road to........... Anemone's are just a tough animal to keep thriving.
Good Luck!
My skunks:

herkemer

Here is our Green Clown Goby in our Umbrella coral, but sometimes he likes our Xenias or Tree coral better.

lurch694u

Orange Skunk Clowns are normally found with an anemone in the wild, which they require for protection. Though many will be more comfortable in captivity when an anemone is provided for them, it is not necessary. If a host anemone is not provided, you should give your Orange Skunk Clown some hiding place where it will feel protected, like an overturned flowerpot or some rockwork. Host anemones include Heteractis sp(bubbletip) and Stoichactis sp(green carpet) . The Orange Skunk Clown will defend the host anemone, while the anemone will protect the clown. The fish will gain immunity to the anemone's toxic chemical by acclimating itself. It will become coated in a protective mucous, by exposing itself gradually to the anemone. Usually, Orange Skunk Clowns can become acclimated to a new anemone within about an hour. If the fish is separated from its anemone for a long period of time, the fish must begin the acclimation process again. Orange Skunk Clowns usually tolerate other clowns. Orange Skunk Clowns are reef safe.

blueface

I have a pink skunk w/ a sebae anenome he came free as a hitchhiker. He is always in the anenome. The only time he leaves is to eat.