best biological media

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/3078134
Here are a few pictures of the sand filter that I'm thinking about using(I already have it) for my 180 gallon reef.
Inside with the tube.

Inside with the tube taken off.

A few things about the filter.

Picture of the hole filter with a 10 week old kitten sitting near it.(Not my kitten, she is my brothers kitten but he went on vacation, so we are going to take care of it for a week.)

This picture is for Meowzer. :p Her name is Daisy.

What are your thoughts ophiura?
Its a Fluidized sand reactor.

fishkid13

How would I incorrperate bioballs into my refuge system? I current just a have a few floating at the surface were my water tikles down.

ophiura

I do need to say this.
I do not advocate the use of bioballs, really, over live rock. Many tanks in fact function beautifully with nothing more than LR, sand and circulation. The exception, IMO, is in predator or FO systems, or FOWLR with limited rock.
The OP question was what, after LR, is best.
But I do not see a reason to add them if there is no ammonia or nitrite detected in the system over long periods (apart from trace amounts after feeding). Bioballs will do nothing to reduce nitrate levels.

fishkid13

I local reefer had a 3 beautiful reef tanks set up with just live rock, sand, and powerheads for water movement and everything was 'perfect', in the sense that is running smoothy.

ophiura

Live rock, a deep sand bed, and a refugium are some of the few biological ways (apart from an algae scrubber) to remove nitrates themselves. So a tank set up with these as the primary filtration - and well balanced stock wise - can be in the "perfect" range.

fishkid13

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3079419
Live rock, a deep sand bed, and a refugium are some of the few biological ways (apart from an algae scrubber) to remove nitrates themselves. So a tank set up with these as the primary filtration - and well balanced stock wise - can be in the "perfect" range.
What I don't get is when they 'remove' the nitrates aren't they still there? Think about it. It sucks them up but they are still 'in' the tank even if it is in something else that is in the tank. Right?

ophiura

If taken up by algae in a refugium, the nutrients are basically still in the system though converted. This is why you need to "export" your algae by harvesting and removing it.
However, in a deep sand bed and in the center of LR, where there are anaerobic areas, denitrification occurs. Bacteria here are different from those on surfaces and, for example, bioballs in highly oxygenated water. Denitrification is a process whereby bacteria use nitrate, and that is ultimately converted to nitrogen. It is sometimes argued that the nitrate used is that produced in surface layers of rock sand, preferentially over that nitrate produced "remotely" (eg in a wet dry). This is why some feel bioballs may lead to an accumulation of nitrates because they outpace, if you will, the denitrification process.
Anyway...denitrification removes nitrate, for good. Macroalgae in theory just converts it to another form that could be rereleased back in (eg if the algae dies or is eaten).

fishkid13

Thanks good info. So you would want a good balance of both right? Could you run a tank with just a 'denitrification' section in a sump? Or does it just happen and you can't replicate it? Just curious sense you said it occurs in live rock and a live sand bed, which you can't replicate in a box or somthing.

florida joe

Just curious sense you said it occurs in live rock and a live sand bed, which you can't replicate in a box or somthing.
what do you mean by replicate

florida joe

This is why some feel bioballs may lead to an accumulation of nitrates because they outpace, if you will, the denitrification process.
And this is where I totally disagree. Bioballs do not harbor nitrates; nitrates are in our water column, do to nitrification . Bio balls give you a large platform in a small package for the bacteria to grow on. BUT that bacteria growth is predicated on organic brake down. The more you
feed your nitrifying bacteria the more it grows. the more it grows the faster it turns your organic brake down into nitrates Do not blame your bioballs for doing there job put the blame where it belongs on the hobbyist feeding regiment and lack of denitrification

ophiura

I do not, if you read my earlier posts, believe that bioballs cause nitrate problems.
I said "some feel" bioballs may...
That does not mean I agree with it.
My earlier posts clearly indicate I believe the hobbyist is solely responsible for nitrate "problems" and the relatively rediculous concept of the "nitrate factory" argument against bioballs.

fishkid13

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3079718
what do you mean by replicate
Awful example but only one I can think of.
Ok think of a hang on filter. It has the capabilties of a few things on the remove of waste in a relatively small space; mechanical, chemical, biologcal. Out of the three things biological is the one that is least replicated air go how can you get the denitrification into a thing as simple as a hang on filter with using any rock or sand. Well what might be said is that a wet dry does that same thing using bioballs and slits in plastic but it is bulky and takes up room. Which goes back to what I just metioned on how you can get major denitrification in a basic HOB filter box. Hhhhmm I just relize I forgot the point of my question....???