Best blace to buy a canopy

Right now I only have a 48" 40w NO strip light on my tank. I want to upgrade to better lighting, and at the same time want to put a canopy on. I don't realy have the resources to build my own, so DYI is out. My local Petsmart has a 48" oak canopy for $99, seemed a little steep. Was wondering if any one knew of an online source, or if this price sounds good. Thanks!

frankl15207

Mine was $92 from my LSF. I'm not sure of shipping costs on those because of the weight and size of the canopy, so if you do find one on line, make sure you factor that into your cost.

c_bell

I bought my 55 gal canopy from a vendor on e-bay for about $45 plus shipping total i paid about $75. It was the best looking canopy I've seen so far, however I now have a 90 gal and the vendor I bought my 55 gal canopy from is not selling anymore so im stuck in the same boat. Please let me know if you come across any good deals for canopies and I'll do the same.

frankl15207

Originally posted by Waterbury Guy
Thanks Frank. What size is you tank the canopy went on and what type of light kit did you put in it?

75 Gallon All-Glass brand. Mine has a 4 x 110 VHO retrofit kit with an Icecap ballast. I ended up replacing the cardboard backed reflector that came with the retrofit kit with a 10 and 4 inch reflector from another often mentioned seller of retrofit kits on this site. I needed the four inch reflector for the back stationary board on my canopy. The 10 inch covers the part of the lid that lifts up.
I also ended up switching to 46.5 inch bulbs because the 48 inch bulbs took it right up to the edge of the canopy and caused some problems with the lid closing. That's a note in case you face the same problem. The German end caps are larger than regular end caps and that seemed to be where the interference was.

G

glenn

If you are looking for a stock standard height canopy then that is not a bad deal. As long as you do not plan to put lighting in that requires to be farther away from the water. All the stock ones will be approx. 6" tall. If you need taller then you will have to do some looking elsewhere, like custom. Some store do have a person they deal with that will make them.
Glenn
www.aquarium-stands.com

c_bell

yes it was a stadard heigth canopy, but that worked fine for my 55 gal. I am now in the market for a 90 gal stand and canopy, and from what i can see I can get alot better price and quality by staying away from the LFS. Glenn do you repersent VP woodworking??? If so how would I get a hold of you guys for prices??