best calcium additive

J

jrthomas40

as many of you who use instant ocean salt you know your Ca+ levels are subpar....what is the best Ca+ additive to use to get your calcium up???
right now i am only at 240 so i am looking at getting some today

hkgar

I use Tropic Marin Bio Calcium and am very pleased with the results.
I would also recommend that you switch to Tropic Marin Pro for your salt mix.

J

jrthomas40

i would like to try a different salt mix but the only salt sold at my LFS is IO...and i think the ***** sells oceanic but they only have the small bags

moneyman

I used Kent Turbo Calcium. You want to get the solid stuff (ie, Kent Turbo Calcium, TM Bio Calcium) for the liquid stuff is very diluted.

gwh57

I mix my own calcium supplement with calcium plus from the pool supply outlet. It cost pennies compared to comercial additives. I also use Arm & Hammer for my alk supplement.

J

jrthomas40

i use arm & hammer if my ph is low but IO salt is really good about buffering the ph...just not very good with the calcium addition and probably not any other important element

gwh57

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
i use arm & hammer if my ph is low but IO salt is really good about buffering the ph...just not very good with the calcium addition and probably not any other important element
That is one reason why I changed to -- some time back, but even that doesn't maintain my tank. I still have to add cal and alk to mine even though I add Kalk to all my top off water too. All tanks are different.

J

jrthomas40

yeah that is true....my essential elements are probably even lower now that i have upgraded my lights and have only add water to replace evaporation

bang guy

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
my alkalinity is about 179
Then Calcium chloride is probably all you need.
I noticed you mention that you add Bicarbonate to raise your PH. That's a really bad idea. It's OK to use it to raise your Alkalinity but don't add chemicals to artificially raise PH or it can lower your Calcium level when Alkalinity gets too high.

gwh57

Originally Posted by saltn00b
hey bang guy have you heard of just using Lime Water as a cheap alternative?
Yes,
lime water can be used, but as in some cases including mine lime water is not enought to maintain my demands.

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Then Calcium chloride is probably all you need.
I noticed you mention that you add Bicarbonate to raise you PH. That's a really bad idea. It's OK to use it to raise your Alkalinity but don't add chemicals to artificially raise PH or it can lower your Calcium level when Alkalinity gets too high.

i dont do it all the time only once in a while during a water change

teen

i just drip kalk at night when i realize my calcium is a little low. my alk usually stays around 7-8 dkh.

bang guy

Originally Posted by saltn00b
hey bang guy have you heard of just using Lime Water as a cheap alternative?
Lime water raises Calcium and Alkalinity. This post is about only increasing Calcium and Limewater isn't the proper tool for that.