Best calcium suppliment for coraline algae

I'm cycling a 65 gallon tank with a tiny (2 inch) clown trigger and am already seeing the golden/brown diatoms/algae at week 2. I started it off with tap water, thinking I was going to change out the entire aquarium many times over with r/o, before removing the single fish and introducing more delicate animals. I added phos-zorb to the sump (right at the protein skimmer's dump) which seems only to have made the skimmer no longer foam. I'd like to get a nice growth of coraline algae going over the course of a few months and then make the switch. Any suggestion appreciated.

patandlace

I've always used B-Ionic. It seems to do good things. As long as your calcium is between 400-450 you should be good to grow.

cannonman

I wouldn't worry about the coraline algae at week two- I would make sure the cycle goes okay and get all water perameters in check before I would look to supplaments for coraline algae growth- slow and easy.

reefkprz

when there is little to nothing in a new tank I reccomend Purple up, for coraline acceleration, but once a tank is more established I just use regular calcium supplements as needed, remember dont add anything you cant test for, if your going to dose any supplements make sure you have the appropriate test kit available to avoid over doseing.

I've got one small piece of fiji rock, and a handfull of live sand. I may go ahead and stock it like mad with base rock, but my worry is removing the trigger if there are too many hiding places. Although it comes right to the surface to feed, and should be a breeze to remove. I plan on keeping the clown trigger, and will set up a 200 or so for him early next year.
When that time comes, what's conventional wisdom regarding the plastic fliter media (bio-balls) if there is to be a lot of live rock? I really just want to keep a clean trigger tank. Should I even keep live rock with this fish? It's going to be a specimen tank, no tankmates...

bsd230

I use Reef Complete from Seachem, seems to work pretty well. I keep my calcium between 400-450.

zoie2

I use Nano A+B, but I only have a 12 gal. It works great. My tank was mostly covered in about 6 months. I bought some pretty shells for my hermits and it doesn't even matter cause everything is purple now!! You can kinda see him on the way right rock by my candy cane, above my toad stool.

robsw

a clown trigger is a really expensive fish to cycle a tank with and i would get him out ASAP. ur cycle will start itself if u have uncured rock. If its cured add a large coktail shrimp, or a damsel. u shud worry about this before coraline
HTH
Rob

hot883

Cycling a tank with fish is outdated and a cruel method. Research before doing anything else is what I suggest. Shipped live rock and a raw shrimp is the best way to cycle a new tank.

hot883

Originally Posted by RobSW
i know, thats what i was trying to say
he is cycling the tank with a clown trigger.
You are right I was not arguing with you.

seannmelly

Right now I am dosing w/ Kent Marine 2.5 gallon aquadoser and Kent Marine Kalkwasser, and I have just as much if not more coralline algae then when I was using Purple Up. I was told I would not grow coralline w/ my 14k 150w mh's but, I am starting to get it on my glass and this tank is 9 months old right now.

catawaba

Get the clown trigger out! Shame on you
Coralline algae will take care of itself in time. Right now you should be concentrating on your cycle WITHOUT fish!

Originally Posted by Catawaba
Get the clown trigger out! Shame on you
Coralline algae will take care of itself in time. Right now you should be concentrating on your cycle WITHOUT fish!
First of all, chill! I'm not letting ammonia or nitrite spike on this fish. Ammonia levels have hardly reached a detectable level. I'm using a wet dry filter with 50% bio media from a mature tank. The two inch fish is in 65 gallons of clean water, and will remain clean and well within acceptable parameters.
I've got well over a decade experience keeping marine. I'm asking for your recommendations on calcium suppliments, not to be chastized by people who jump to the erroneous conclusion that I'm mistreating a fish.

C

civileng68

I dont know about you guys but, I dont use any Coralline supplements (I used to and think it messes with your balance) and just have alot of live rock.
Without using ANY supplements (other than liquid calcium), you'd be amazed at how much coralline I have. In fact, I put in a new piece of Live Rock and it is covered within 1 month.
I just put in a new fuge and already have coralline on that.
I think the emphasis just needs to be on a healthy tank and mature tank and the coralline will come.
Of course, I was told to keep your calcium levels where they should be (high enough) to keep the coralline growing.

acrylic300

You shouldn't need to untill there is enough coraline to use the suppliments. Water changes will be enough for the first year or so.
Then you can drip lime or kalk with your makup water and it will keep your Alk, Calc, Ph in ballance. Chances are coraline will be the least of your worries though at this point.
I have a few hundred pounds of base rock and it is not even from an ocean and it's mostly covered with thin coraline at 15 months. Make sure your best live rocks are in front of a powerhead or flow of some sort.

Originally Posted by zoie2
I use Nano A+B, but I only have a 12 gal. It works great. My tank was mostly covered in about 6 months. I bought some pretty shells for my hermits and it doesn't even matter cause everything is purple now!! You can kinda see him on the way right rock by my candy cane, above my toad stool.

Beautiful setup, Zoie! What lighting are you using? Basically, I'm hoping to have some healthy growth by March or so when I will move this guy to a larger tank and have a good foundation for adding specimen rocks, mostly coralimorphs and soft corals and eventually, maybe a giant clam or two.