Best calcium test?????

farnorth

I have a calcium test that requires x amount of drops of the first, then about 20 more drops of the next, etc and I am trying to compare the color with the example, etc and can't get an accurate reading AT ALL!
Please tell me there is a better calcium tester that is not a $200 digital tester.

X

xnikki118x

Originally Posted by farnorth
I have a calcium test that requires x amount of drops of the first, then about 20 more drops of the next, etc and I am trying to compare the color with the example, etc and can't get an accurate reading AT ALL!
Please tell me there is a better calcium tester that is not a $200 digital tester.
Sounds like the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals calcium test I had once. It showed my calcium at 720ppm! I did a second test, and got 720ppm again! I freaked out and took a water sample to my favorite LFS. The owner tested it with Salifert and it was actually 450ppm. He also said that if my calcium had really been that high, my corals would have burned.
I promptly tossed that kit, let me tell you!

zman1

Ca-Salifert
Alk -Lamotte - use a water syringe from one of the Salifert kits to add your tank water, much easier than looking at a line on the beaker
I like Salifert's Ca - The color change from red to blue is pretty big and a detectable difference. You have to add 2ml tank water, then a spoon of dry and 8 drops agent, then drip the reagent until you see the color change, look at the syringe for your reading and then at a table.
I don't like Lamotte's Calcium kit, 1 ml of tank water then dilute with 11.9ml of RO water - This is the part I dislike. I constantly would get the 11.9 out of the sump, since the RO tank and sump sit right next to each other, You add six drops agent and then drop a tablet, You know in 2 seconds after you drop the tablet that you made the same mistake, again.... If you did it correct, then do the reagent syringe and read the result. Then multiply the result by 5.16 to get Ca ppm. Color change from Red to Purple then Blue
For Alk kit, Lammote is my favorite, 5ml tank water, drop 1 tablet (no drops and shaking) do the reagent syringe and read the result, it's in ppm right off the syringe - Change from blue-green to purple.

farnorth

Thanks guys, looks like salifert it is!!! Yeah mine is Hagen/Nutrafin. All the other tests seem ok, but the calcium is so hard to tell a difference.