Best camera under 350?

mie

I paid 300 for my kodak z650 and it does a nice job, I wish i could get better close up's. There is one out that is called an srl or slr I cant remember but last year they were 1,000 bucks now they are around 400 bucks. I hear they are absolutley amazing.

I got my Kodak z712 IS (awesome for the price LOVE this camera) for 150$ and for 200 you can get one with a whole kit including memory card, case, tripod, etc.. Very nice camera and Great price on refurb... They carry a 1 year warranty same as a new unit and are much cheaper. Good luck!
*mod edit= there is a reason that you can not type that please dont try to go around it by posting other things. *

geckopsu

I agree. I think Kodak makes the best inexpensive cameras for the money. The IS (image stabilization) feature is very nice too like what's on the Z712. Ask Warlock_king and see the pictures he just posted. Really nice!

Just wait until Black Friday and go to Best Buy or Circuit City, or any other store like that, you should be able to get some really good deals. That's what I'm going to do

gnorman

Originally Posted by mie
I paid 300 for my kodak z650 and it does a nice job, I wish i could get better close up's. There is one out that is called an srl or slr I cant remember but last year they were 1,000 bucks now they are around 400 bucks. I hear they are absolutley amazing.

Who is the SRL or SLR made by?

yerboy

Originally Posted by GNorman
Who is the SRL or SLR made by?
SLR is a type of camera not a brand. Stands for Single Lens Reflex

gnorman

haha ok thanks for the clarification. i noticed canon sells those cameras as im sure many other companies do.

natclanwy

The canon Digital Rebel XTi (D400) is a great inexpensive SLR camera but is around $500 with a 18-55mm lens. For a point and shoot the Canon Powershot S3 or S5 can be found for around $300-$350 has a 12x optical zoom and a macro and super macro mode for taking pictures of your tank. Also has manual modes so that you can manual set the exposure to get the best possible pics. I have the older S2 and loved it took over 14000 pics before I upgraded to a 30D now my wife uses it.

gnorman

so ive been looking at the canon S5 IS and the rebel XTI. the rebel XTI is the SLR.... dont really know what that means- does it mean u can move the lens around for a clear picture?
anyways, if u dont mind, would u explain to me what would be the difference between these two cameras? what are some pros and cons to both. what would u recommend? and where would be the best place to go look at these?
thanks so much
Eric-

mfp1016

Panasonic FZ8, shoots and RAW and is most like an SLR without being one. should be able to get it for $200.

hattrick58

Originally Posted by mfp1016
Panasonic FZ8, shoots and RAW and is most like an SLR without being one. should be able to get it for $200.
Panasonic FZ8 is crap. It's impossible to be "like an SLR without being one". Avoid.

nycbob

the canon rebel xti costs about $800, not $500. slr allows one to change lens depending on the situation. they r much better than point and shoot imo. i hv the canon xti 10mp. i love it. i probably spent like over $3000 just purchasing lens tho.

natclanwy

Warning long post:

The biggest pro to using the Powershot S5 is the cost for about $315 (current price just checked) you get a simple to use camera that has advanced features and incorporates a lens that has the ability to take macro, wide angle, and telephoto shots and does so very well. The drawbacks are when you incorporate so much into one lens it does not preform nearly as well as a stand alone lens would, also the image sensor is much smaller which results in more noise especially in low light and while using high ISO's.
The Canon XTI is a SLR (Single lens reflex) camera which just describes how light is transmitted through the camera to the image sensor I won't get into all of the differences here. The XTI is a great camera there really are no cons only preferences as far as performance and features go, it will do everything an amature photographer will ever want to do. The cons have more to do with cost you will pay $615 for this camera with a kit lens 18-55mm (also current pricing, deal for $500 expired) which is a decent all around portrait and indoor photography lens, and I have seen some good macro shots done with this lens. To cover all of the bases that the lens on the S5 can do and going with very low cost lenses you will end up with about $1000 in lenses in addition to the camera which is beyond most peoples needs. The pros are larger image sensor which makes it much easier to capture moving objects (insert fish) in low light situations, you have the ability to use a lens that perfectly matches the situation you are shooting in, you can shoot in RAW mode, and a few other things.
What you need to consider is how much you will be using you camera, if all you shoot is a few pictures of your tank and the occasional family gathering and family events then the S5 is for you. If you shoot pictures daily or at least several times weekly and it more of a hobby than just recording an event and cost is not a concern you should definetly look at getting the XTI.
Hope this clears things up for you a little.
Forgot to tell you where you can look at them
Walmart in my area actually carries both cameras if you would like to physically hold them, I don't think I would purchase them there unless you have money to burn, or you can try your local canon dealer just be careful of there sales pitch some will try to pressure you into the XTI or other expensive model. I recomend doing your own research and then decide.

gnorman

ok thank you soo much for that post. it really helped me clear up a lot of my questions.
thanks again
eric-