Best carbon

crox

I would like to know wich carbon is the best to be used on a reef tank.
:help: :help: :help:

lion_crazz

I have used just about all of the carbons and I have not found a difference in any. I use the cheap PennPlex stuff now and do not see any difference from when I was using Kent's.
The only stuff I have not used is SeaChem's expensive carbon.

lion_crazz

After hearing all the great things about Chemi-Pure, I started to use it but it just got to the point where it was too expensive to keep replacing after a while. I did not see any difference when I stopped using it and switched to a lesser brand.

steve24

its just that thats what i used years back on my first SW tank and i like the results of using it. yes, its expensive, but i buy it in bulk so its a little cheaper...
steve

lion_crazz

I'm sorry, Steve, I did not mean to make it sound like I was arguing or contradicting your statement. I have never had or heard any complaints about Chemi-Pure; I was just saying that it is a little too expensive for my tastes (especially when you need to use so many "units" per so many gallons).

roushracer

I think my tank has been running so well because of my regular use of chemi-pure and black diamond carbon.
Many say my tank is way overstocked, but my levels have always been perfect, and I have yet to ever lose a fish, or anything for that matter.
I have a 29g so it's not as expensive for me...

steve24

oh no, i did not take it that way at all. i`m just one that sticks with something that works for me rather the trying new and or differant things ...lol
you are far more experianced then me, and i have learned alot from you

steve

teaggs

Originally Posted by acrylic51
I prefer Black Diamond
should i put some in my sump in a filter sock or something if i just have fish only with liverock or will it not really matter

acrylic51

You could do that anywhere you have high flow area would work, but more effective being run in the "active" mode instead of "passive" as you've suggested, but your idea will work......

larryndana

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
I have used just about all of the carbons and I have not found a difference in any. I use the cheap PennPlex stuff now and do not see any difference from when I was using Kent's.
The only stuff I have not used is SeaChem's expensive carbon.

PennPlex?
Can't find this, for some reason.