Best carbon?

spiderwoman

Now after seeing how I can mess up a tank with carbon, I'd like to know what carbon you use and how dusty is it?
I used this:
BlackMagic Super Activated Carbon (research grade)
I do have 2 buckets of carbon we got from Bulk Reef Supply:
Activated Lignite Carbon (large)

fishfreak1242

I used the ligite carbon from ************** and it's great. My water stays crystal clear ever since I started running it.

jbird0420

I was watching the Bulk Reef Supply video and they recommend the (small) carbon pellets. It's porous which allows more water to flow through the pellets. Is there really a difference???

How did you mess up your tank with carbon?
I do have 2 buckets of carbon we got from Bulk Reef Supply:
Activated Lignite Carbon (large)[/QUOTE]

U

usirchchris

Use Purigen instead of carbon. You don't have any dust; works longer than carbon; and is re-chargable. Much better product IMO.

snakeblitz33

+1 on purigen.
Though, if you want some serious power in your carbon, try TriBased Carbon. I get it from a guy named Snake. He sells some pretty cool stuff. I got his number if your interested. He might not sell to consumers though.

jbird0420

I use 4 bags of Purigen in my 225g. Just started using carbon a few weeks back! Is that overkill or a waste of money?

Originally Posted by usirchchris
http:///forum/post/2896493
Use Purigen instead of carbon. You don't have any dust; works longer than carbon; and is re-chargable. Much better product IMO.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by Jbird0420
http:///forum/post/2896522
I use 4 bags of Purigen in my 225g. Just started using carbon a few weeks back! Is that overkill or a waste of money?

Overkill for your tank...probably not, but they do primarily perform the same function. One just outperforms the other IMO. If your water parameters were not as good before as they are now, then no, I would not say that it is overkill, but I would have bought more Purigen if this was the case rather than carbon. Carbon is only good for a month at best then you have to junk it. I would look at the water parameters to judge whether or not this is overkill on the wallet. Does the end justify the means?

spiderwoman

I did buy Purigen in my last dry goods order. I was thinking about putting it into the 3rd cylinder I have in the sump, but I was reading the instructions and there was all about soaking it first in 1:1 bleach/water bath for 24 hours etc. Do you need to do that??

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2896572
I did buy Purigen in my last dry goods order. I was thinking about putting it into the 3rd cylinder I have in the sump, but I was reading the instructions and there was all about soaking it first in 1:1 bleach/water bath for 24 hours etc. Do you need to do that??
I have never done this initially. Just rinse it when it is new. The only time I do the bleach process is when recharging.

stanlalee

I use seachem. After some research it seemed universally accepted as one of the better activated carbon products. I've tried other carbons but since I never had the need for carbon in the first place I've never noticed ANY results from ANY carbon products.