Best clean-up crew???

agrsiv210

Since I have aggressive fish, what is the best clean-up crew I can get that won't get eaten. Or is this even possible to do.

aw2

I've gone through everything until I finally found Red Starry Hermits.
I have 2, that are about the size of a baseball and they take care of everything...including sand sifting.

aw2

The Red Starry Hermits, that I have are bold enough to fight off sub-adult Queen Triggers and Clown Triggers when the fish would try to steal their food.
I can keep other cleaners now that I have just 2 Morays and an 8" Sailfin, but before, I couldnt keep anything both those Starry Hermits.

moto757

I had two that were about the size of golf balls and my trigger split them up real fast. I never seen any at a store that are that big though. I would run a big skimmer a uv and a refuge no clean up crew is safe with an aggressive tank.

triggered

We got two N. snails, and two hermits Sunday. (We have 3 triggers) The two crabs are still alive, one snail down due to the largest crab taking it's shell. The snails were about 1 to 1-1/2 inches. One crab is now the size of the smallest snail and the other is in a shell a little smaller than a quarter.
We recieved 50 hermits (way too small, or so we thought-1/4"). Put them in last night. The shells are hard enough they can't break them and too big to eat in a single gulp. They scattered last night and we put in some other shells to move into. I don't know how much they will help. In a 125, it didn't seem like we got nearly enough. I think we are going to get a couple of larger hermits from our LFS.
Anyway, we will see how they work out and give an update. They are dwarf Zebra Hermits. Fiesty little fellas. It was cool to see the rocks "moving"............Peace

fixed

So, the idea is to throw in a huge number of something, then hope that they get some cleaning done before they are eaten? I guess as long as the price is ok. sounds like a good strategy.

mitzel

Originally Posted by AW2
The Red Starry Hermits, that I have are bold enough to fight off sub-adult Queen Triggers and Clown Triggers when the fish would try to steal their food.
I can keep other cleaners now that I have just 2 Morays and an 8" Sailfin, but before, I couldnt keep anything both those Starry Hermits.

The Red starry hermits are a cleaning crew from the firey depths . Big and mean and they take crap from nobody.

triggered

Originally Posted by Mimzy
...what about urchins?
I am pretty sure it is a no-no to put urchins in with triggers, nor starfish, nor cucumbers, that is the general consensis anyway.
If the little fellas had been a little larger, we wouldn't have minded spending what we did. But they were so small, it will take a while for them to get big enough. It was an awfully expensive proposition. I hope they don't end up food. So far so good, they have almost all gone out and hidden in the rubble. We'll see in a while how well 50 1/4 inch hermits do.
The remaining snail has buried itself in the substrate and is almost all covered up. I think we will get a couple more snails, and a couple more larger crabs. They are fun to watch.........Peace

shawnlx86

Originally Posted by AGRSIV210
are the red starry hermits called by a different name? Do you know where I can purchase them? email me please at tacomin12@adelphia.net
ALSO, COULD YOU E-MAIL ME AS WELL? SHAWNLX86@HOTMAIL.COM
AW2- WHICH TANK DO YOU KEEP THE 2 HERMITS IN? I'M GETTING READY FOR THE 240 AND JUST WONDERING HOW MANY I'LL NEED TO BUY.
THANKS

aw2

I've never seen them under different names.
AW2- WHICH TANK DO YOU KEEP THE 2 HERMITS IN? I'M GETTING READY FOR THE 240 AND JUST WONDERING HOW MANY I'LL NEED TO BUY.
I kept one in my 200gal. for the longest time, until he finally died (R.I.P. Goliath!!)
Right now, I have 2 and they're in the 90gal. temp. tank, that the rest of my fish are in.
They're mainly scavengers, but they'll take down fish as well. Goliath was bigger than a baseball and he took out a 4" Queen Trigger.
The current 2 will go back into the 200gal. when it's revamped and set back up.

agrsiv210

They are also called strawberry hermits as well, I believe. Just got mine tonight, they are awesome!!! My picasso and my lunare wrasse keep trying to get to them but they fend them off. I put two of them in my tank. They are the size of baseballs, as soon as I put them in they got to work. Second best investment in my tank behind my black hawaiian trigger

unleashed

my clean up crew for my 125 agrssive are a bi colored foxface and a silver scat.both have venomous spines so other fish leave them alone. the foxface is 5- 6 inches. the scat is 9 inches