Best Clean up crew?

timsedwards

Hi Guys,
You can see in my sig. that my clean up crew isnt extensive at the moment. Well I ahve just created a DSB and want a crew to mix with this nicely, but the main objective is to keep algae off the top. I have heard Fighting conchs are good for this but not ideal for a DSB?
What are people's thoughts?
Thanks!
Tim.

grouperhead

Fighting conchs do a really nice job of cleaning diatoms off the top of the sandbed, and to my (limited) knowledge, they don't harm it like a sand sifting star would. Serpent stars do a great job of cleaning up any uneaten food that lands on the sand bed. I have 4 types of hermits in my tank now - scarlets, blue legs, zebras, and an electric blue. The electric blue and zebras are my favorite. The zebras are the most active, then the bluelegs, then the electric blue, and last the scarlets. Nassarius snails will also help to keep your sandbed nice and white. HTH. Bo

barracuda

Tim,
just so let you know, that you shouldn't add any sand sifting (sand sifting stars, sand sifting gobbies) animals to your sand bed. Brittle stars, fighting counch, Nassarius snals are good!!!

timsedwards

OK thanks guys, i am eagerly looking for a fighting conch!
Are there any combinations of crabs/snails/conchs that you cannot have? I know I can have a maximum of 2 fighting conchs in my tank.
Im going to have a look at brittle stars as I have no clue what they are....
Thanks!
Tim.

maryc137

I have one fighting conch in my 140 gallon tank and I really don't think it makes much of a difference. My sand is really clean though, and it appears to be from my large assortment of hermit crabs and my 2 gobies, a Watchman and a checkered goby.

timsedwards

OK thanks for the info.
What are people's thoughts on Nassarius snails and Cerith Snails? 6 of each would cost me $60 incl. land shipping here in UK.
Any thoughts on Brittle stars? I heard they were good?
Thanks,
Tim.

grouperhead

I'm not sure about the cerith snails (don't have any) but the nassarius snails need to be fed. You will usually see them pop out of the sand when you feed. If you don't see them getting any, just put a little food by them and watch 'em go to work. I've really enjoyed my figting conch as well, he's a cool little guy. Bo

timsedwards

so if you had to choose, would you get Super Turbs or Nassarius? Where do Ceriths come into it?
Also how do cleaner shrimps/peppermint shrimps do?
Thanks for all the info!
Tim.