Best device for scraping coralline off

sterling

The coralline is getting kind of out-of-hand, the front glass I have to scrape daily and the back, sides and equipment, cripes it's ridiculous!! What does everyone else use to scrape this stuff off?? I bought a little metal scraper thing months ago and can use it on fresh stuff, but the rest of this is getting thick.
Also, I did manage to scrape off enough in a 5 inch diameter off one side, but the water was getting pretty cloudy with the loose stuff floating around, could it be detrimental? (sp)
The stuff growing on my rocks is layering now, looks like mini montipora the way it's growing.

i would just leave the coraline alone(except on the front glass). but if you want to scrape it off , just use a razor blade. that should work just fine. just be careful not to scrape off the silicon from your corner seams! that wouldn't be a good thing to do.

danrw84

i use one of those plastic razors by kent marine. takes it right off. keep a filter above where your scraping, sucks it right up.

p_apac

i use a floating magnet type thing and i go over the front of my tank EVERYDAY. thats the easiest way i found. i dont really worry about the sides and back. i think that it makes the tank look more natural.

hairtrigger

Yep yep... second everyone. Magnets work great for soft algaes, for the hard calcerous stuff like coraline... razor blades can't be beat. :cool:

sterling

Badpacket, if you're serious let me know. I have to buy new intake tube screens, they're covered with it. I could put the old ones in a little water and send them, that's if you're really serious........

chinnyr

I was just getting ready to post about the same problem(well not really a problem---coraline is a good thing!).I have one spot on the glass that gets covered because a powerhead is positioned right at the glass.I can't wait to see what happens when I put on my new vhos this week!

jonthefb

get ready for a nice growth explosion! well not really but in time you should get some really sweet color out of them and the algae as well!
good luck
jon

badpacket

Sterling,
Yes! Only problem is I am headed back East next Friday until the following Wed. Would it be possible to wait about 2 weeks?
I've heard this is a good way to seed c.a. on your rocks.
thanks,
badpacket94501 at y a h o o dot c o m