Best Digital Camera

cliffrouse11bas

What is the best digital camera for taking pictures of a tank? I don't want to spend more than $500 dollars. Or should I just go with a regular camera and scan them onto the computer????

benj420

No, go digital. Ideally you want one that you can manually focus and hopefully do some f/stop adjustment or ISO adjustment. The glass or acrylic will bounce a flash, so you need to be able to take pics with existing light and if you can adjust shutter speed, or ISO or f/stop, you can do it without the flash. If you can manually focus, it will be even better because the glass will fool autofocus in most cases. If you can't focus manually, look for "infinity" focus for the autofocus. It's made for shooting through glass.
As far as brands. Olympus has always been good and they have good warranties that they actually honor (unlike some of the other big names).
Sony - Good cameras, warranty blows
Nikon - Excellent lenses, good color, expensive
Canon - Excellent lenses, pretty good color, expensive
Olympus - VG lenses, very good color, good price
These are the only ones I have experience with.
Good luck. If you know what a newsgroup is, check out rec.photo.digital

ryebread

Not to argue with you Benj420 but, I disagree with 64.2% of what you have said.
Cliff- Shoot me an email and I will see what I can do for you.

reef fool

Check with Rye Bread...He is the message boards camera expert. My opinion is to buy an Olympus. I have a 2 year old one that they don't even make any more and I love it. It is both user friendly and idiot friendly. and takes nice pics. The ones they have now are even better. Forget the film cameras if you are gonna put them into you computer. You need a hell of a good scanner to get the same quality. Just my opinion. Check out my pics and see what you think.
http://community.webshots.com/album/49938845xviHAs

chinnyr

I just bought an Olympus 550 zoom,and it sems to be perfect for me.I will try to post some pics this weekend of my tank to see how things go.

bdubbya

I have an olympus that takes pretty good photos. It's also tough, it rolled off the top of a car going around 35 mph and still works, it's just a little abused looking now. HTH.

chrisrench

I recently bought a canon S30. It is absolutely incredible. Great for tank pics too. Do some research to find what best suits your lifestyle, don't believe anyone who says you don't want autofocus though, I'll put my canon up to any manual focus cameras. Don't spend more than 400 for the S30 though if you like it. Shop around.

ryebread

Canon S30 is an awesome little camera. Too bad it is discontinued. I can't wait until we get a good replacement for it at my store.

chrisrench

WOW discontinued??? I didn't know that. I have had mine a couple months and couldn't be happier. What about the S40? Are they discontinuing that too?