best filter for reef, that isnt a wet dry

spsfreak100

Biological (Liverock, Livesand, etc.) and Chemical (Protein Skimming) filtration is definitaly the best.
Graham

madd catt

What they have said plus a algea scrubber or any container filled with hair algea or mangroves,shaving brush etc.

badkjb2

ok, maybe i need to rephrase my question, what kind of filters do people here use, besides live rock, etc

beaslbob

first plant life. macro algaes or marine plants.
that is a direct answer to your question. But as far as a more mechnical filter goes I have been running a tetratec pf 500 in my 55g for about 8 months. It is noisy but seems to be effective. I also have a canister which i did used two times when i first was running the system.
I have just setup a refugium with a plexiglass box to direct the water over lava stones and crushed coral. It is powered by a powerhead. So far I am happy with it but have had a couple of minor floods when setting it up. I used a 15g plastic container and it has macro algae and about 3" of sand outside the plexiglass box. Total cost was around $30.00 plus the powerhead.

buzz

You don't need additional filters...
Live Rock and Live Sand act as a natural filter. In addition, Refugiums will help lower nitrates and phosphates. A protein skimmer removes organic wastes, etc. The combination of those is all the filter you should need.
If you don't have live rock, live sand, etc., then you may need more mechanical filtration like wet/dry's, etc.
What other suggestions are you looking for? Hang on filters like bio-wheels?

badkjb2

thats exactley what im looking for. i dont have room for a refugium. and i have a wet dry, but have no room for that either. just lookin for a way to keep my nitrates down. i have live rock and a protein skimmer, but nitrates are out of control, and i do regular water changes and have suffiecient live rock, even though i should add a few pounds. cant hurt anything

beaslbob

Bad: Before you run off and buy, do, or worry a lot, I recently thought my nitrAtes were way too high. Turned out to be an old test kit reading high. Meanwhile all my livestock was fine and a recent algae bloom (after adding more light) continued to dissapate. Unless you are constantly scraping algae off your glass, you may want to have you lfs test for nitrates with you and your test kit testing the same water at the same time.
Whatever you do, macro algae/marie plants will reduce your nitrAtes and make for a balanced stable system.

badkjb2

i am scraping algae, and have lost a few fish lately. im trying to stay patient, but thats hard to do sometimes. where do i find the plants? never seen them before

lesleybird

Originally posted by badkjb2
ok, maybe i need to rephrase my question, what kind of filters do people here use, besides live rock, etc

I like my Rena Filstar under the cabinet cannister filter because it is quiet, easy to clean and very efficient. Lesley

Kind of a pain, the good kind, to get out but also if you have any kind of tang or herbivore chances are it will eat the macro. Before I built my fuge for my 65 all I had was a penguin 330 power filter and 100+ pounds of LR. I had algae but my trates were low. I built a fuge with macro and the algae is all but gone away. I took the 330 off too.

madd catt

You can use the eheim wet/dry filter {canister} its a very good filter also the tetra tec hang on the back filter system {wet/dry} but it seems too suck air through this small plastic device that makes a little noise plus a heater goes in the intake chamber taking it out of the tank.
Tunze seems too make a excellent {hob} filter system that includes a seperate hydroponic filter {hob} that hangs on the back of the tank using mangroves so that you dont need the sump under your aquarium.