best fish for large tank

saltfish4me

Hi I'm new to the board though I have been in the reef keeping business for two years. I have been given the task by my father who likes my fish so much that he just built a 15'*4'*4' tank in his living room and wants me to give him some stocking advise now I've been reading up on the aggresive fish and this is the route I want to go. Other than sharks because he already said no to them I am looking for compatible aggresive fish for this tank any suggestions
Justin

saltfish4me

I am looking at
triggers
groupers
lionfish
eels
puffers
tusks
also I know tangs need better water but this is an extrmely large tank does that make a differance or iis the answer still no

jjboods

Well, you arehaving the same problem I am...lack of advice from experienced salt water aquarium keepers on this board. So...I will try to answer to the best of my novice ability. I will soon be setting up an aggressive saltwater tank. I am not sure how many gallons your tank is, however, I know that I can get 5 fish...a trigger, a lionfish, a wrasse, an angel and a tang in a 200 gallon, maybe even a 150 but that would be pushing it. I am considering for myself a Volitan Lion, a Queen Angel, a Sohal Tang, a Paddlefish Wrasse, and a Blue Jaw Trigger. With this in mind...figure out the gallons in your tank and stock accordingly. Hope I was of help to you.

blueberryboomer

Hi there, please be patient with all the members on board, most of them check the board after they get home from work. For an aggressive tank, I love triggers, we have a Niger and a Huma Huma, both beautiful fish.
Lionfish and puffers are also a nice fish for an aggressive tank. Like I said be patient, you should get alot of response from everyone when they get home from work...Lisa

dasnake03

In that size tank you could go with basically any fish you want. Good fish would be, triggers:Clown,Niger,Blue throught,huma, pink tail,if you have some money the cross hatch trigger is beautiful. Puffers: golden,spotted,masked,map,or dogface. Wrasses: Green bird wrasse,Harlequin tusk,lunare,or sunset.Eels: Zebra,snowflake,or golden,stay away from some of the larger fish eaters. Lion fish: a few Voliton lions would look great together,its like a pack of wolves. Large angels: Emperor,Queen,Maculosis,as long as you have efficiante filtration, and dont overstock(which will be a pritty hard thing to do in such a large tank),they are alright.Groupers: Miniatis groupers are very colorful,and panther groupers are nice. To answere your other question tangs will do fine with aggressive fish,as long as you keep your nitrates to a safe level(25ppm.).Good tangs would be: a school of either hippo tangs,purple tangs,or yellow tangs, good more aggressive solitary tangs are, sohal,naso,or clown tangs. It would also help to add the tangs before any aggressive triggers. Another thing that would help is to add all the tangs at the same time. Another key part to keeping fish peacefully is to add the more docile fish first and then the aggressive fish after they have established themselves.I hope this has helped you.

jjboods

Well, BBB, I don't think I have evr gotten a response to a post from a "Shark". In a day, night, or week. Tough to be a newbie and want info and not get it. That's why people end up killing fish that the lfs says, "sure, That queen angel will be fine in the 10 gallon tank you set up yesterday"
Just my 2 cents.

justchillin

well there seems to be some shark bashing going on here so you may want o keep blueberryboomers words in mind and give everyone a chance to get home from work...you may also want to take into consideration that for the past week everyone has had there attention diverted from fish keeping to the terrorist attacks...
now aside from that maybe you should try the search feature on the board as there have been hundreds of posts on this topic (arresive stocking questions's)...
jjboods: you most likely haven't gotten any more replys because jwtrojan44 already answered your questions...

reefkeeper1

This is off the topic, but I am putting a tank in my great room almost those exact dimensions. My question is what is it made out of? I was going to use cement because I know it will hold, but A freind of mine who run a fish farm told my to use some polyfiber material(dont remember exact name.) to build it.

grouper 42

Whatever you do go slow and introduce the hardiest and cheapest fish first. I love and Angels. Find a good book and read up on them. Passers, Queen, Emperor, etc are good choices. Wait several months and add them last.

jjboods

Just Chillin,
Did he...please look again. As many newbies state...we are NEWBIES!!!! We come here for a reason. So, after needing to explain several times that I am NOT using my current 55, I finally got an answer...NOT from a shark. Again, being a newbie, I had a follow upi question for JWT, then for ANYONE? then for NOONE? with NO response!!!! Also...I have NEVER, EVER had a shark respond to ANY question I posted. If I am shark bashing, so be it...they haven't helped me anyway. I am sorry, but that's how I feel.

saltfish4me

Reefkeeper1 I don't live with my father he lives about 4 hours away so I haven't seen the tank just yet I know the three sides in the wall are cement with a pool paint sealer, but as for the front I just know his best friend owns a glass and window store so what ever it is he got a discount, but I'll ask him for ya.
Justin
P.S. I wasn't trying to be rude by may replie of anyone (bare with me this is my first time on the board)

craigj

Saltfish4me, I noticed your a fellow Lexingtonian. Where do you usually get your fish? I've had mixed results from each of the LFS around here and wondered what you thought.

saltfish4me

Craig
I just moved here to go to school in Augest so and my tanks were left with my dad and brother both of which I have no worrys about there abilty to take care of my fish. What I'm trying to say is that I'm new to the area and haven't even seen a saltwater store since I left home
Sorry can't be much help

craigj

I really don't think that a puffer and a trigger would be a problem in a 15 ft. tank. They would have plenty of room to avoid each other. In a tank that size, I would keep around 20-40 fish depending on size and disposition.

triggers,eels, a tusk and a grouper is the way to go. maybe even a school of bannerfish. the triggers and tusk will swim around all day. lionfish, and in my opinion are beautiful fish but they just float and require alot of space. puffers a cool too, but not with triggers. there are alot of fish for this tank. be patient and good luck.