Best Florida Vacation Spots?

howardj

Last October we stayed in Kissimee, went to Orlando, Disney World, Universal Studio's.. headed over to Melbourne Beach, Cocoa Beach, and of course hit up Ron Jon.. It was AWESOME!
We also stayed in a condo.. that was cool.. having a place all to ourselves, not like a hotel..
Just wondering what everyone on here thinks is the best place to go?
I LOVED it in FL,.. first time I went was last year.
My g-ma wants to go places before, well, you know.. and she wants to go somewhere with Blue Water, lots of Palm Tree's, Coconuts, and especially White Sand
dunno why.. but I agree.. it sounds fun
I want to go snorkeling, really want to go scuba.. but don't you have to have a certificate of some sort?
I think it would also be kind of cool to go to local restraunts.. no franchises or anything
PLEASE POST!

nano reefer

the keys are over rated. You cpuld do some great deep water fishing. And I hate to break it too ya, but 90% of Florida dining is franchise. Go to Sonnys BBQ and get all u can eat ribs for $12. And if u like girls, Daytona is good.

clown4life

Sarasota beach is where it's at. I am going to the Keys in two weeks for the lobsters. Miami has some wild and crazy things going on too at thier beaches.

T

tizzo

I think Key West is over-rated. Unless your an adult then it's fun as heck, lol. BUt everywhere north of Key west is a lot of fun IMO.

T

tizzo

I've been there a couple times. Some of the beaches are rocky, but up around Bahia Honda and PenneCamp has nice snorkeling and diving. But you need that certificate thing.

miaheatlvr

Come to Miami, you cant beat it, White sand beaches, blue water then drive down to the keys and hit the everglades..

stdreb27

The last time we went to Florida it was on the gulf side, near a small town called apalachicola. Not your typical tourist trap, it is small, quiet, not crowded. (no reefs however) but the water is beautiful, very natural. When we went, we went canuing in an oyster bay their, and got about 5 feet from a bald eagle, had dolphins swim up to the boat, it was alot of fun.

crimzy

Is there anywhere else in Florida besides South Beach???
(assuming that you are an adult of course).

aquaknight

If you want to go diving, then you really have to go to the Keys. The charter boat out of Bahia Honda is said to be good. We rented a boat when we've gone before. Not sure if there's still places there that do that.
If you plan for Miami, then pretty much everything is reachable. The keys are 45mins away, the Everglades are right there, and the west coast is about an hour drive.

groupergenius

Keys overrated......humbug. I love the keys. Been there about a hundred times so far. Most restraunts are individual and NOT franchise in the keys.
Still snorkeling boats going out all over the keys. The further South the better. Looe Key off of Big Pine Key is a real nice spot. That's the one I'm sure aquaknight is talking about out of Bahia Honda. Beaches are few and far between there though.
Party time beach...South Beach Miami.
Best beaches are in the panhandle. From Fort Pickens to Fort Walton.

howardj

wow, thanks for the help everyone!
Is there ANYwhere in FL I can go snorkeling in/around reefs without a certificate?

groupergenius

Originally Posted by HowardJ
http:///forum/post/2690527
wow, thanks for the help everyone!
Is there ANYwhere in FL I can go snorkeling in/around reefs without a certificate?

Snorkel anywhere. What certificate. Are you talking a certification card? That's for Scuba only. FYI there is not a scuba police out there. I have been diving for 18 years and been asked 1 time for my C card.

aquaknight

Yea, you can snorkel/free dive anywhere. If you want to dive, go through a reputable dive operator, they can and will accomodate you. Might be slightly more $. They probably will have a class or two designed for you/your group. Probably just stucking to the shallow areas. Don't expect to be hand feeding the sharks at 45ft though.
Renting diving equipment without a C card can sometimes be tough. That's why going through a dive operator, who already has everything will make things simple.

i lived in the key west for a while. born and raised, its boring to me. but my family lives down there, so i still go every once and a while. fun for about 2 days then iam out ,
i like venice and englewood. nice place. i go about 2 times a month, take the boat out and do some fishing. probably moving down that way.
sarasota is nice, actully next to venice. beaches are alright.
good luck..

coraljunky

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2690484
Keys overrated......humbug. I love the keys. Been there about a hundred times so far. Most restraunts are individual and NOT franchise in the keys.
Still snorkeling boats going out all over the keys. The further South the better. Looe Key off of Big Pine Key is a real nice spot. That's the one I'm sure aquaknight is talking about out of Bahia Honda. Beaches are few and far between there though.
Party time beach...South Beach Miami.
Best beaches are in the panhandle. From Fort Pickens to Fort Walton.
Uuuhhhh.......What's wrong with these people Grouper??? Who wouldn't love to be here.............