Best food for a purple tang?

rolxism

Right now he mows what algae thats in the tank. I have some extra brine shimp / krill / squid. Whats the best food for me to be feeding him. I have read that brine isn't very good for a fish, lack of nutrients? Any advice would be great.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by rolxism
Right now he mows what algae thats in the tank. I have some extra brine shimp / krill / squid. Whats the best food for me to be feeding him. I have read that brine isn't very good for a fish, lack of nutrients? Any advice would be great.
Go for formula foods. There is a tang formula which is high in greens and has the meat that they need as well.

hammerhed7

formula 2 pellets or frozen would be good, they love algea sheets, put one on a feeding clip so he can graze on it all day long. mysis shrimp are also good. I have tried the brine shrimp with spirulina algea, fish love them.

jhebi

Blend everything you have, add some bananas, garlic extract, and some nori put on a zip lock, take it to the freezer and than when u need it take a piece and feed your fishes....If u can afford some other vitamins you can add that up in the mix

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jhebi
Blend everything you have, add some bananas, garlic extract, and some nori put on a zip lock, take it to the freezer and than when u need it take a piece and feed your fishes....If u can afford some other vitamins you can add that up in the mix

I would not do this. If you do want to make your own then go to disease and treatment and read the common treatments FAQ. Beth has her recipee for home made foods. Otherwise, buy frozen formula foods. The key word is FROZEN, not pellet or flake formulas. You can certainly use nori sheets. They break up within hours and become mush. The fish won't be able to graze on them "all day". Please don't use brine, that is candy. No nutritinal value at all. Mysis is slightly better.