Best Food For Corals?

brokendeck

Whats the best food to feed corals with? Is there a certain brand out there thats the better than others? I have a few different types of zoos, candy coral and a few others.

zoplankton and phytoplankton could be used or a product called coral frenzy, but water quality can be compromised by using them, as long as your tank is established you should be ok with whatever is floating through the water column, the only thing you should really supplement is calcium and things of that nature, if you tank need it only though, heavily stocked sps tanks and such, and of course non-photosynthetic corals need special feeding care, but i am sure more people with more experience will be able to tell you more.

brokendeck

We will wait and see what everyone else says. My LFS was trying to sell me zoplankton but I didnt buy it bc I wanted to ask you guys first. Dont wanna buy something I dont need ya know.

shaded light

dose phyto.
for max coral growth use some brine shrimp.
i have heard that corals that are feed cyclopeeze tend to have better color, but i am not positive of this, and i do not use it.

brokendeck

Originally Posted by Shaded Light
http:///forum/post/3030620
dose phyto.
for max coral growth use some brine shrimp.
i have heard that corals that are feed cyclopeeze tend to have better color, but i am not positive of this, and i do not use it.
spot feed the brine shrimp to the corals?

shaded light

Originally Posted by Brokendeck
http:///forum/post/3030984
spot feed the brine shrimp to the corals?
yeah, LPS corals like acans and brain corals. you cant really feed brine to torch corals or zoos...
also, i would dose UltraMin F. google it. great stuff.

jackri

I feed mysis shrimp to my LPS corals -- like your candy cane when he's open will take them in and close up.
Every so often I dose cyclop-eeze into my tank for the sps and fish... but overall I don't know that it's necessary.

natclanwy

Every coral is going to have different feeding requirements. The best food for all photosynthetic corals is light, adequete light is all they really need. Beyond that occasional feedings of phytoplankton, Mysis shrimp, krill, cyclopeeze, ect... are okay but over use can cause high nitrates and phosphates.
Brine shrimp are not a healthy choice to feed anything in a SW tank it won't hurt anything but there are much better choices out there.

brokendeck

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/3031664
Every coral is going to have different feeding requirements. The best food for all photosynthetic corals is light, adequete light is all they really need. Beyond that occasional feedings of phytoplankton, Mysis shrimp, krill, cyclopeeze, ect... are okay but over use can cause high nitrates and phosphates.
Brine shrimp are not a healthy choice to feed anything in a SW tank it won't hurt anything but there are much better choices out there.
Brine and Mysis are 2 different shrimps right? I feed my corals Mysis shrimp. Suppose to be getting zooplankton today to feed the corals with.