best for beginer....?

shimmy yaz

I found THIS site to be very helpful and trust me do your research you will be thankful in the end . It is alot better to do a little research than spend thousands on equipment and livestock.

maverick005

thank you, i am very upset. the guy that was going to sell me the tank sold it to someone else without telling me. i had my hopes up....oh well, others come along (i still have lots of reading to do anyway!!)

Y

yae4volcom

Hey Mavrick......
I am also pretty new, and I just put the water in (waiting for LR and LS to arrive)
Its a 12 gallon Eclipse tank. Its a really nice looking tank thats acrylic. Anyway, some people say that it will costs thousands but I have to disagree.
12 gallon eclipse- around 100 dollars
50 watt heater- like 20-30 dollars
upgraded 32 watt supernova retrofit 50 dollars
small powerhead -around 20 dollars
net and test kits - around 30 dollars
17 lb LR was around 70 bucks or so
southdown sand is very cheap
Anyway I know im a little off on my prices but not much and my point is you can set up a nice tank without spending tons
i dont have a skimmer but I dont really need one on a small tank with few fish. Ill probably spend around 50 more for fish and invertabrates but still everything was around 400
Just trying to help ~Jason~
P.S. Alot of people say bigger is easier and it is but that doesnt mean keeping a smaller tank is impossible.....just more water changes and more testing and less fish.

marvida

The larger the tank the "easier" things are is simply because salt water tanks are a moving target. The larger the tank, the slower the target moves. Starting out with a real small tank (less than 29 gal) is not impossible, but it is very difficult. As far as cost, start slow & build up. Both your wallet and your livestock will appreciate it.