Best fuge algae???

jocca

What's the best type of macro-algae (or combination of algaes) to put in a fuge for nuturient export--in particular i need to KEEP MY NITRATES from getting out of control, which has been difficult even after reducing feedings and bio-load and doing frequent water changes.
Any ideas.
Thanks.

murph

If your fuges big enough try a deep sand bed and Cheato.
Calerapa is alright but it attach's to rock unlike cheato and can go to mush on you in quick order which presents another water quality problem.
IMO an unlit deep sand bed alone might work to reduce your nitrates to zero in a couple of weeks to a month.

dogstar

I use caleripa because it grows fast and that means its working fast but you also have to trim it fast, haha

dcathey

Originally Posted by Murph
IMO an unlit deep sand bed alone might work to reduce your nitrates to zero in a couple of weeks to a month.
I have chaeto and a 3-4 " sand bed in my 10 gal fuge. I light for 11 hours per day. My chaeto grows like crazy. Do you think if cut my lights back that my nitrates will be lower and more controllable. I get a small spike about 1- days before my weekly water change. I am also upgrading the skimmer but until then I am looking for solutions.

T

thomas712

Why don't we just find out about his system and why the nitrates are so high?

jocca

Good question. I'm not sure why my nitrates are so high. I think I've been over feeding, but even when I drastically cut back the feeding my nitrates dont reduce. It seems to be more of a cummulative effect over time that my system is not removing enought nitrates, which is why I thought of increasing my algae in my fuge. I also just decided to run carbon for a while. I've put carbon in for a few days at a time, but now I'm going to leave it in for a month or so and see if that helps.
Thanks for the thoughts.

T

thomas712

What size tank?
Filtration methods?
Substrate?
Turnover rate?
How many pounds of live rock?
fuge size? substrate? and what is in there now?
What is your bio load?
how often do you feed and what?
How often and what size water changes do you do?
What is your water source?