Best in sump skimmer

cmpowell

Ok i have searched the board and i can't seem to find the answer i am looking for.Maybe someone can help me.I am in the process of getting everything for 125 upgrade.I want to get a recommended skimmer in sump type.Which one should i get.Thanks Chris.:cool:

cboyfan2020

I am setting up a new 120g and I just bought a new Kent Nautilus TE skimmer. It is rated for tanks to 300g and is in-sump type. You need a 700-950gph pump for it though. I think Champion lighting has one. HTH

cmpowell

cboyfan,Before you bought this one did you have any others in mind if so what where they and then what made you decide on the one you bought.Just wondering.trying to do a little homework before i settle on one because this will be it when i am finished with the 125.Wife said so.:D

ironreef

depends on what you wanna spend. Theres self cleaning skimmers for $1000. But Euroreefs ,aerofoamers,bullets are the best for a cheaper price range.@ $300+

cmpowell

well i'll be honest.I have a Skilter 400.Now this is not going on the 125 so i was just lookin for something that works well but not over priced.I know there is tons of different ones out there but i was looking for something that is in use by you all.again i know there is alot of those as well but i was hoping to narrow my search down through you guys and gals.

guppie

The turbofloter 1000 is a good skimmer, at a good price. Get the ocean runner pump not the rio though.

nm reef

I would urge you to consider the EuroReef line of skimmers....I run a CS6-2 and am extremely pleased with the quality and performance. Check them out before you make a purchase...I'm confident you'll be glad you did!:cool:

marinerock

HEY CM....
KENT NAUTILUS TE TURBO-EDUCTOR PROTEIN SKIMMER
W/ A MAG-DRIVE #7 (700GPH) PUMP....
EXCELLENT SKIMMER...HIGHLY RECOMMEND...
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

krux

if you do not go euro reef, you might want to look into the predator 1 by marine life aquatics. running between 270 and 300 for the base model wihtout the overflow module, it skimms just as effeciently as similarly rated euroreef and etss skimmers that i have seen in operation. the pred. 1 is rated for up to 150 gallons, if you want to spend more you can spend up to about 530 to get a dual stage deal that will do up to 500 callons and runs on about 1100 gph pump.
do a search for marine life aquatics and predator to find some places that stock them.
i run the aggressor, which is in my opinion, the best skimmer out there at 100 bucks, similar design to a berlin turbo, but more effecient, and a heck of a lot cheaper. my tank size didnt necessitate the predator, or i would have jumped on it after seeing 3 or 4 setups running them.
if you already bought a euroreef however, good choice, it will perform outstanding for you i am sure.

cboyfan2020

i went with the nautilus because i had heard good things about it and I got it brand new for $120. Cant beat that! Also I knew my CPR BakPak2 (small compared to the Kent) wouldn't handle a 120g tank.

krux

that cs 8-1 is either monsterous, or your cell phone is itty bitty. what is the footprint on that bad boy, and how on earth do you fit it under your tank? maybe you modified a volkswagen bus to be your stand?

ironreef

Not all skimmers are made of high grade acylic like Euroreefs,bullets,aerofoamers ect....Not all acylic is made equal some knock offs will crack with age.This is one reason some cost a few $$$ less. FWIW

richard rendos

The chamber on the CS 8-1 is 8" in diameter. The whole thing with the pump is like 9" X 15" X 20". It was a tight fit, but it fit.

Same here, I had trouble putting it in sump, and finally, my dad decided to cut the base acrylic of the skimmer (nothing to do with the skimmer) if you have one, then u'll see what i mean.

cmpowell

Do you think the CS 8-1 is the size i will need for my 125 or the 6-3 or the 6-4.I'm not sure.Now my head hurts.:p .Let me know what you all think.Thanks again for all the help.

rane

CMPOWELL,
I have the 8-1 for my 155, I would go with that one if I were you, there isnt much of a diference between the 8-1,8-2,8-3, so I dont see spending the extra money, I am happy with my 8-1, it is a big A$$ skimmer though