Best kind of "berlin" sump for reef tank

K

king_nothing_

I currently am using a 20 long tank for a sump....no refugium right now, just a protein skimmer and heater in there now. I'm really wanting to upgrade to one of those acrilic (however you spell it) sumps with the filter pad and refugium areas and all that jazz. I've seen some really cool looking ones online, but they're quite pricey (id post a link but it's not allowed...) usually in the range of 200-250ish.
Is that too much to pay for one of those "berlin" style sumps with refugium section or is that about average? I know my LFS used to sell that general style for about 175, but there was no refugium section on those, and the ones I've found online even include a light and everything.
should I buy something like that, or should I attempt to make one myself? I'm horrible at crafty things like that, and wouldn't even know where to go to get cut class for the section dividers or anything....

taurus513

I made my sump/refugium out of a 29 gallon tank. It has the same footprint as the 20 long you are using. I use about 20 gallons of actual capacity and leave the rest empty in case of overflow (like when the power goes out). I attached a pic, I hope it works. The pic is from my freshwater test before I set my tank up. The chamber on the left is the refugium, it is about 8 gallons, and it makes a huge difference having one. Attachment 220353

britishguy

I currently am using a 20 long tank for a sump....no refugium right now, just a protein skimmer and heater in there now. I'm really wanting to upgrade to one of those acrilic (however you spell it) sumps with the filter pad and refugium areas and all that jazz. I've seen some really cool looking ones online, but they're quite pricey (id post a link but it's not allowed...) usually in the range of 200-250ish.
I've been thinking about this too, switiching from my Ehiem 2028 Canister filter (which i've had 0 problems with, i just want a better performer) but potential noise troubles me...
With all of these styles of filter setup, how much noise do you guys get from them? Right now my tank is completely silent (except for Nova Extreme Pro lights) and i'd hate to do something like this too and constantly have the sound of running water; making me want to get up and hit the bathroom every 10mins. :(
Thanks,
Matt

K

king_nothing_

BritishGuy: I think you wont be totally disapointed even if you DO get some sound....my main tank is totally silent, other than the ocasional gurgle from the overflow, but my backup tank in the corner has a HOB filter thats constantly making running water noise and I find it quite peacful. I've gotten so used to it that when it gets turned off by like a power outtage or something, my room sounds...i dunno....not RIGHT. like theres somethign seriously wrong lol.
But then again...I do know that when my friends come over they always complain lol so to each his own.

britishguy

I've gotten so used to it that when it gets turned off by like a power outtage or something, my room sounds...i dunno....not RIGHT. like theres somethign seriously wrong lol.
LOL, I know what you mean, it's like having that fan on at night and and then one night you turn it off and you can't sleep because you can't hear the noise it makes.
I've used the rather loud Emperor 400 for a number of years on other tanks so if the volume is the same or less, then it'll pass the test!
I think i'm going to attempt to build one myself, hopefully for less than the rather neat looking acrylic Eshopps and Berlin sumps/refugiums listed on typical Aquarium Supply websites.
KingNothing, did you come up with some plans to make your own or are you going to take advantage of current online discounts for a pre-made Acrylic sump/refugium?
Matt