Best Large Angel for a Beginner?

showdogz

What large angel would the SW world consider as the best and easiest for a new SW person to have success with? If you have several, can you rank them as to tank size required, easy of care, acceptance of captivity, etc.
Also, should I look at a juvi or an adult? What is the success rate of each?
I am looking at purchasing either a 120 or a 180G. I know I should wait about 6 months before I get the angel, but I would like to up my odds of success, and get one that is considered a good beginner's angel.
Also, the things I see say the angels eat algae off of LR. Do I need MH lights to grow the algae, or will the normal lights, that come with a tank, suffice for algae growth? If I don't get enough algae growth on the LR, what food should I feed the angel? How readily do the angels take to eating food that is not algae off of LR?
Thank you.

robchuck

A French Angel would be a good, hardy, large angel. They do get big, so the largest tank you can afford would be in order. I kept one for about a year and a half in a 150 until I was forced to downgrade and trade the fish in. I acquired it as a 2" juvenile and it grew about an inch and a half in the time I kept it. This fish would eat anything I threw in the tank, and was very accomodating of some errors (wide swings in salinity due to a top-off malfunction, over-correcting an extreme temperature, missing a few water changes) I made along the way.
The diet of angels consists largely of algae and sponge material. Mass-produced food designed specifically for angels exists and was accepted readily by my French, though they do spend most of their day grazing on the rock. With this said, I would invest in as much live rock as possible, both for bio-filtration and as a food source for the angel and other fish, but leaving enough swimming room for the fish to be comfortable.
6 months is a good timeframe to wait, as this allows time for the rock to become established to the point of being a food source for the angel and for the water conditions to stabalize. I also don't think MH lights are necessary for algae to grow.

leopard_babe

I agree french are great angels. I always wanted one. Idid alot of research on angels, when I thought I was going to start my angel tank. I had a queen angel, she was easy. She was a juvi. An adult would (to me anyway), imply that the fish is older. I prefer the juvi, because they are younger, and can live longer in the tank. I also like seeing my fish grow. It is fun to see how they change. You know that angels have significant changes in there grown, colors, and what not.
Good luck with your angels, and I would like to see pix of whatever you choose!!
Leopard

leopard_babe

Just a thought... In saltwater the bigger the better. Get the biggest tank you can afford. Once you start to get fish, it seems like you are very limited with a small tank. I would suggest to get the biggest tank you can afford because, in the long run you it will save you money. I have a 46 bow, and about a month later when I was ready to stock the tanks, I craved large fish, sich as angels, sting rays, small sharks, triggers, lionfish, and eels. Now I have a 46 and a 180. If I would have got the big tank form the beginning, then I would maybe have one tank (or maybe 2!!). It is also easier to keep the levels even in a larger tank. I would suggest the 180, that is my opinion. Once you have your tank going, you will see why I said get the biggest tank.
HTH
Leopard

showdogz

I appreciate your comments very much. I had looked through some sites, and really liked the Maculosus, the Majestic/Blue Girdled, Blue Line, and Emperor. How would those be for new tank owners? It said the Maculosus was a very hardy fish, and I love the blue color!
Also, Robchuck, you said "6 months is a good timeframe to wait, as this allows time for the rock to become established to the point of being a food source for the angel and for the water conditions to stabalize." What type of establishment happens with the LR that gets it to the point of being a good food source for angels? How will I know my tank is ready for a large angel?
Sorry for all the questions, but, at the cost of these fish, I want to be sure I do it right the first time.
Thanks again!

shels

I have to agree with both comments, get the biggest tank you can afford or want. It really is alot easier to maintain. I have Emp Angel, I bought her as a juv and she has changed to her full adult coloration and really is amazing to watch her grow and change colors. She has not given me any problems, even when there is a issue with the tank. She had Popeye I think around 3 months ago and I was so worried about losing her. I traeted it for 2 weeks and you can never even tell she had it. Thank God! Good luck

robchuck

The Maculosus is another beautiful angel. I have heard that they are as hardy as the French, and I would really like to get one of these the next time I set up a FOWLR.
As far as establishing the live rock, there is really no set way of telling when it's ready. Six months is just a good time frame to allow sponges, algae, and other things to grow on the rocks; especially if there are no predators to consume those things.

showdogz

Originally posted by RobChuck
As far as establishing the live rock, there is really no set way of telling when it's ready. Six months is just a good time frame to allow sponges, algae, and other things to grow on the rocks; especially if there are no predators to consume those things.

Will a clean-up crew eat the sponges and algae? Can I "seed" the rock with something to get sponges and algae to grow, if I end up with LR that does not have these on it?
Also, I would like to get a Yellow Tang (who wouldn't, right
). Will the Tang battle the Angel for the algae on the LR?
I guess I should also mention that I am looking at a FOWLR tank, if that helps.