Best LFS in Central Texas

otto13

I really only shop in the Austin area. I would have to say that Aquatek is the best store but HOLY COW you wanna talk about crappy customer service. Everything they sell you and tell you is great but they ignore customers and act stuck up.

mytank

Sorry to hear that, I live in the Mckinney area and I go to Plano to Aquatic Designs and they treat you with respect and everyone knows you when you walk in. It's hard to find a good LFS that you can trust. Good luck

mytank

it's not a huge selection, just a small store with supplies that you would need and they always have a few eels, lionfish and I think for a small store a pretty good selection. Again they are a small store and not a mega store.

danedodger

I've been to Aquatek once and really loved it!!!! :joy: Yeah, the couple of kids that were there were like you describe but there was one guy there that was absolutely great!!! I think his name may've been Mike? He's a guy maybe in his 30s or so with a mustache that kinda gives a strange little laugh after everything he says. I think I could just pick his brain about the saltwater hobby for hours on end and he didn't seem to mind talking to us at all, just really busy!!!
The good sized pink square anthias was gorgeous and that one tank in the very front left hand corner of the store with the huge specimins in it had me DROOLING!!!!! LOADS of cool stuff in that store!!! I'd go there, buy, and trust what that one guy had to say anytime!
But yanno, I get lonely for experienced hobbyists at my little ***** in Temple too sometimes
You guys in the area could stop by just to say hi, chat a bit, and make any suggestions you like even if you don't buy anything there...maybe...sometime...

otto13

Oh yeah. They are very knowledgable. However, sometimes you have to wait in line for 45 minutes just to ask a question. People storm out of there all the time.

misskitty

I am from CTX, and this is where I got my stuff. You know that mall thats on the out skirts in leander ( i think thats the citys name) Not the MAIN autsin mall.. but the newer one. Well down the street from them is a really nice pet store.. it doent look like much on the out side but he is really good and has the stuff to prove it. His store is on the oppiste side of the street as the mall is.. and its a lil outter mall thing ( you know like lots of stores connectet to it) I wanna say its called pet connection.. but I havnt been out there in a while. If I remeber more Ill try to let you know. HTH Kitty

atxrealtor

Carlos at rivercity has a great shop, its close to anderson lane and 183, and a shop in round rock has graet prices on coral. but i like the advice and council of rivercity aquatics

blue20051

Originally Posted by mytank
Sorry to hear that, I live in the Mckinney area and I go to Plano to Aquatic Designs and they treat you with respect and everyone knows you when you walk in. It's hard to find a good LFS that you can trust. Good luck
Do you know any others that are in ft worth? I would like to drive out to plano one day but its too far for me lol.

1journeyman

In the FT. Worth Metroplex, try Fish Warehouse near the NE Mall. Great staff, and they will get you anyting you ask them too. Fish are in great shape.
Few corals, they moved back in August and haven't set up their coral tanks again yet.

puffer32

Any suggestion where to buy new (or used) setups in the dallas/FW area? i am moving to Bedford or Eules in afew months and might need to buy all new equiptment. Also what does LR go for in the area?

1journeyman

Well, the above mentioned shop had some used tanks I bet he would sell.
LR is best online... stores around here are charging $6-$10 a lb.

blue20051

In bedford area, LFS are charging about $7 a lb. Arlington area i have seen 5-7$ a lb. Havent seen one go up any higher than that.

fishboy091

i live around houston. i went into the city of houston yesterday and went to the best fish store ive ever been to. it was called village tropicals. just in case somebody is in the area or lives there. its on the corner of shepard and richmond.

nflnutswif

Hey Fishboy (Houston) Have you been to Aquarium World? Little pricey but the fish are quality and the atmosphere with that mega display wall tank is amazing.
Kingwood here!

fishy7

If you are moving to the DFW area, go to Dallas North Aquarium. You will not be dissappointed. They have the best livestock and customer service is off the charts. :joy:

blue20051

Originally Posted by FISHY7
If you are moving to the DFW area, go to Dallas North Aquarium. You will not be dissappointed. They have the best livestock and customer service is off the charts. :joy:
I heard that place was expensive(on live stock). Is that true??