Best LFS in Chicago Area

whitey

Scott's Pet Shop in Westchester has a ton of selection and healthy stock, but the customer service is very poor in my opinion.
Sea Escapes in South Elgin is a nice store, Prices are a little high, but they typically have very healthy selection.
Reef Plus in North Aurora is small but the prices are right.
Those are the ones within driving distance to me that I'll trust.

billsweet

pic-a-pet in kankakee has an up and coming salt water selection coral is expensive but they have started a couple of tanks for smaller frags for $10-$15

whitey

Where in Kankakee?
I'll be there next week, would like to check it out if it's decent. Don't know the area too well but I'll be near the Ultra Foods store.
LMK

msante79

I live in lagrange and i get my fish and supplies at Scott's pet shop, but the living sea is by far the best store in the chicagoland area that i been to. the living sea is a little pricey but they have an awesome selection and the live rock is super cheap. The best store I found on the south side is Aquatica is Tinley Park, they have a very nice coral selection and they have 2 hammer head sharks whish is pretty cool.

jmick

I really like Advanced Aquatics in Schaumberg for Coral. They are one of the only shops in the area that will let you trade in fish for store credit. I think their selection of fish is rather limited but they really seem to know their stuff and their coral selection is outstanding.

shooter

If You Are Looking For An Excellent Fish Store, Go To Aquatica On 167th And Oak Park In Tinley.....they Are Cheaper Than Scotts, The Owner Has Over 25yrs Experience With Saltwater Info, And He Will Not Sell You A Fish Just Cause You Want One

[hr]
he Will Ask What You Have In Your Tank, Etc.,, His Fish Are All Healthy And Eating......unlike Other Pet Stores, When You Call, You Talk To Him

[hr]
you Are Not On Hold Or Talking To Some Kid Who Is A Helper Changing Water.......go There

[hr]
you Will Be Glad You Did........i Have Been To Scotts And About A Half Dozen Other Fish Stores

[hr]
he Is By Far The Best..........

whitey

Shooter--
Can we assume that you yourself are the owner of Aquatica?
Just jokin. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the area.

g13

I've been to prctically all the LFS mentioned and here is my take.....
Advanced Aquatics in Schaunburg, never been there but heard it was way too expensive.
Aquatica in Tinley Park, been there once Livestock seems healthy and prices are decent.
The rest mentioned are not good stores ESPECIALLY Scott's that freaken store will sell you a dead fish if they could. They do have many fish but you will see at least one dead fish in each tank, horrible place. Nothing I've purchased from Scott's has lived more then 3 days (flame angel, carpenters wrasse and black occelarius) and they are rude as hell.
The best stores in my opinion are.........
Deep Reef Aquatics in Downers Grove......always have rare fish and many different wrasses that you normally don't see. Price is slightly high but healthy looking fish.
Ocean Design in Chicago........Healthy fish and Good prices. Owner even QT's his new arrivals for I think at least a week. What other LFS does that? Scott's just takes them out of the bag and dumps them in their tanks (every friday seen it many times).
Tropi-Quatics in Lombard.......Good selection and great prices. Best place next to aquatica to purchase invertebrates, cleaner shrimp $18-$22.
As for corals, I don't think any of them have great prices. I would think the best for corals would be Scott's since they are 39.99 for whichever coral you want. If you ask me it's the only reason to go there. Since corals can be easily nurtured if malnuritched in a stabile reef tank.

kingoftang

Thanks. I've been to Living Sea...Healthy Fish but way too expencsive than average prices.
I'll try the rest...havn't been to any!
What is the cheapest LFS in Chicago for corals? Inverts? Fish?

jmick

Yeah, I think that Advanced is on the pricey side but their livestock always looks good (coral) and everything I’ve bought from them has always thrived in my tank. I think I’m gonna have to check out Deep Reef in Downers Grove, I’ve been wanting to add a couple of fairy wrasses.

shooter

G13, I Had The Same Experience With Scott's----rude People, It Takes Forever To Get Help In There, Very Pricy, And All They Want To Do Is Sell You Any Fish--- Without Reference To What You Already Have Or What Size Tank..........i Will Never Go There Again......where Is Ocean Design At???

g13

Originally Posted by SHOOTER
G13, I Had The Same Experience With Scott's----rude People, It Takes Forever To Get Help In There, Very Pricy, And All They Want To Do Is Sell You Any Fish--- Without Reference To What You Already Have Or What Size Tank..........i Will Never Go There Again......where Is Ocean Design At???
It's on Irving Park Rd and Narragansett (don't know if that's spelled right
). You can check out there website http://oceandesignaquarium.com/ . I'm not sure if anything they have for sale on their website is updated but you can get your info there.

aw2

I think Scotts, in Westchester, is the best in the area. As others said...they have the best selection and very healthy fish and corals. They're located on 31st St., at the intersection of Wolf Road.
It's not that the staff is rude...they're just ALWAYS extremely busy, not like regular fish stores. I know 90% of the employees, personally, including Scott, the owner and they're all great guys.
I used to live in Riverside, which is only 20 min from Scotts. Now, I live downtown (over an hour away) and still make it a point to drive out there at least once a month.
Old Orchard Aquarium, in Skokie, rivals Scotts. For the hard to find, more exotic fish, go to Old Town. They're located on Skokie Blvd, one block north of Church St.

msante79

Went to both Living Sea and Ocean Design, Living Sea has by far the superior selection but is also far more expensive. Ocean Design is also a very nice store, it has decent fish but has a very nice coral selction. I would say Ocean Design is slightly better than Scott's. If you have the $ i would recomend Living Sea. Also think Aquatica is better than Scott's and Ocean Design.

g13

Originally Posted by msante79
Where is deep reef in downers grove?
deepreefaquatics.com

msante79

Went ot deep reef today and they have a lot of fish that you usually see in most pet shops and the prices are ok. the thing i did not like was that a lot of fish did not look healthy and they are in those cubes that all connect w each other. I saw a yellow tang that did not have any of its fins left. It has a good selction of fish but i am not sure i would by there.