best light for curing live rock ?

saltn00b

curing and promoting coraline are two different things.
you can cure coralline with no light at all. just scrub off the dead soft material and wait for the ammo cycle to finish. some people dose kalkwasser and iodine, but i dont really see the point in that.
worry about the corraline when it is in the tank, with proper lighting and calcium levels, etc.
if you must put a light on the rock, you can get a swirly flourescent clip on from your local hardware store .

reefkprz

Originally Posted by newsalter
http:///forum/post/2794309
what do you think the best light is for curing new live rock and promotoing coraline algae growth?
if I were to put light over a rock curing station it would be actinic only to reduce the occurance of algaes. you have to realize the water in which your curing is going to be loaded with "algae food" so the less light the better. if you want to maintain as much coraline as possible while curing actinic light will be fine.

newsalter

thanks for the response. i have a 29 gal that is just rock and a few peperment shrimp with 1 algae bleenie so i was wondering whats the best way to get the coraline going in that system. just trying an experiment i guess.

saltn00b

ok, seems from your description i thought you had just received or purchased new rock on it that you wanted to cure to make sure it was safe to add to a system. it sounds like you are considering moving to a reef tank. corralline grows naturally when you have good water params for the ammo cycle and the major calcium players (calc, alk, and mag.).
as long as you have a decent coral-sustaining light (or even less powerful), coraline will thrive. you can also take coralline from existing systems and crush up and scatter in the water column to push it along.