Best Metal Halide Lighting

jdogg2432

What type of metal halides should I put on my 55 gallon reef? Would like to put all types of corals in it. What type of ballast?
Do I need to put VHO's on as well?

nas19320

Thats kind of a broad question, there are a lot of options. Are you looking to do SPS's or more of a mixed reef? The addition of VHO's depends on if you wanna do dawn/dusk and wanna balance out the color. You could go with dual 175w or even better dual 250's SE's or DE's. But be prepared for the heat put off by MH's.

jdogg2432

NAS, I noticed that your profile says that you have a 55 gallon reef. What is your set up like? Lighting, filtration, water movement, etc.?

nas19320

Well if money and heat was not an issue I would run dual 250 DE's with Reef Optix 3 pendants with VHO actinics. I would run a HQI magnetic ballasts as I believe they drive the bulbs brighter than the electronic ballasts.

nas19320

My setup consists of the following:
Water Movement:
3 Maxi Jet 900's
1 Maxi jet 1200
All on a Red Sea wavemaster
Mag 3 powering a Remora Pro
Lighting:
Dual 250's SE with PFO parallel reflectors and Ice cap new style electronic ballasts
(2) T5 supplmentation
Filtration:
Approx. 100lbs LR
DSB
Remora Pro with preskimmer box and Mag 3
I will be upgrading to a bigger tank and a lot will be changed and uprgraded but at this time space is a little tight

jdogg2432

NAS, do you have any pics of your setup? Do you run a chiller? I have used T-5's in the past, and have been very satisfied. Are you happy with the combo of M/H's and T-5's?

nas19320

I don't run chiller but as long as the ambient temp is a few degrees lower than what I want my tank at, fans are all that is needed. I like the combo of MH/T5 but I can't compare it to VHO's or PC's as I've never used them. If I had the space I would make quite a few changes though to make life easier.