Best nano protein skimmer?

cocoacf

Title says it all..
I've got a 29 gallon biocube, with the stock hood. Not looking to take the hood off or cut it to make things fit that shouldn't... What's my best option?
Thanks

nikesb

without modding, ur not gonna be able to get the best for a nano which is a warner marine h2 hob. its a BEAST of a skimmer. if you really dont want to, you can always choose a cpr sr3 which fits perfectly into a bc29, but the skimmer cant compare at all to the h2 or even the h1

blenny

Originally Posted by Cocoacf
http:///forum/post/3259764
Title says it all..
I've got a 29 gallon biocube, with the stock hood. Not looking to take the hood off or cut it to make things fit that shouldn't... What's my best option?
Thanks
Sometimes you have to unless your going with the sump option. I did it with my 24 gal. And even if your going the sump option your going to have to make some kind of change, Its all part of the hobbie.

I just bought a Tunze 9002 DOC skimmer and it did not fit in the back of my 28g nano cube like they said it would SO I got a AquaC remora HOB skimmer and it fits like a glove back there.
It produced skimate like crazy the first day I installed it. Tank is sparkling clean.
That's what I would suggest if you are looking for something that will fit in your rear chambers.

spanko

Copy this into a google search and go to the first link that comes up.
Oceanic 29 gallon Biocube build - Page 2 - The Reef Tank

hv1980

Originally Posted by tannersmith200
http:///forum/post/3260071
I just bought a Tunze 9002 DOC skimmer and it did not fit in the back of my 28g nano cube like they said it would SO I got a AquaC remora HOB skimmer and it fits like a glove back there.
It produced skimate like crazy the first day I installed it. Tank is sparkling clean.
That's what I would suggest if you are looking for something that will fit in your rear chambers.

I got the same AquaC Remora where did you put the pump?

speg

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3266813
Are there any options for a skimmer on a 12 gallon?

I hope so.
I use the biocube skimmer in my 12 gallon. I'll tell you that it's absolutely awful.. it does do SOME skimming though.
As far as the skimmer question.... I've always loved my AquaC remora HOB for my 46 bowfront. It works exactly like it's supposd to even after all these years. There is a aqua c remora nano and if I could afford it, that's what I would buy.

handbanana

I saw a really nice looking nano skimmer for the JBJ nano. it said it fits the 12 gal and the 28.
Would that work in the oceanianic? it doesnt look to me like it would fit.
But one can hope.

cprdnick

Oceanic makes a nano skimmer, I bought one for my little 10 gallon. It works ok I guess, ive had to replace the air "stone" about once a month just to keep it working ok, its a wooden air block, and it kinda starts rotting out. I tried an actual stone, but it didn't produce the needed bubble action.
I just purchase an Aqua C Remora Nano for my 18 gallon. It's been running for a couple of days on an empty tank, just to get the break in over with, but so far its noisy as heck, which they say stops after its broken in. Not sure yet if it skimming capabilities are worth a crap as its running in new water with no bio-load for now.....come to think of it, I don't know if the break-in will even start without a bio-load...dang it.

handbanana

With corals in such a small space its probabaly important to run a skimmer, no?
I just got my 12 set up and now am wondering if that's another thing I need to go get.

ecbuddy123

question is a skimmer a real necity? im new to salt water but i also hear that a lot of people say that a skimmer isnt needed unless u check your ph ans everythig frequently and do a weekly water change, is that true? i want to start a 20 gallon long reef, and i dont really want to do a sump (well maybe later) and also i dont have an idea as to wat fish can go in a 20 long, but i always wanted a lion fish, and a finding nemo guy :)

nikesb

it really depends on what kind of tank youre wanting to do. for an sps tank, its almost always necessary to have a skimmer.

socalnano24

I just got a remora nano hang on back skimmer. It's not the best if you want to have everything closed in a hood. but for the size it seems to be working great.

socalnano24

Originally Posted by ecbuddy123
http:///forum/post/3271896
question is a skimmer a real necity? im new to salt water but i also hear that a lot of people say that a skimmer isnt needed unless u check your ph ans everythig frequently and do a weekly water change, is that true? i want to start a 20 gallon long reef, and i dont really want to do a sump (well maybe later) and also i dont have an idea as to wat fish can go in a 20 long, but i always wanted a lion fish, and a finding nemo guy :)
I'd say with a reef tank you either need a skimmer, or you need a refugium with a significant amount of macro algae in lieu of a skimmer. You'd be hard off with neither of those.

M

majicmak

Hi, I have a Berlin 90 running on my Biocube 14. I found a vid on youtube on how to weld acrylic. I built a box that is 18x6x5 that stands next to the tank. It is fed by a canister filter that draws water from the tanks sump. I cut a notch in the side of the hood for a one inch return tube from the box back to a foam block in the sump. The air driven skimmer is really pulling out the crud. The whole project took one weekend and came in around $100. I already had an air pump and canister filter running. If there is any interest I will try to post pics.

Mark

M

majicmak

Hi, I have a Berlin 90 running on my Biocube 14. I found a vid on youtube on how to weld acrylic. I built a box that is 18x6x5 that stands next to the tank. It is fed by a canister filter that draws water from the tanks sump. I cut a notch in the side of the hood for a one inch return tube from the box back to a foam block in the sump. The air driven skimmer is really pulling out the crud. The whole project took one weekend and came in around $100. I already had an air pump and canister filter running. If there is any interest I will try to post pics.

Mark